944rear E brake shoe movement

You know, de-chromed, big Porsche rims, Brembos, etc.,... German Look rules!
UK66Bug

944rear E brake shoe movement

Post by UK66Bug »

A few years ago i fitted brake from a 944 to my bug .I made the swans for the handbrake etc and it works fine except for one thing .If i apply the handbrake and try to turn the wheel ,the shoes are moving inside until they hit the metal stop on the back plate.This movment does not seem right and somtimes causes the shoes to stick.The photos show the gap and the gap gets bigger as the shoes move out to the rotor.the whole design seems crap as the adjuster at the top is not fixed to the back plate like a type 1 .
Should the shoes rest on the block when not in use ?and adjusted closely to minimise the gap, or is this normal ?

UK66Bug

Re: 944rear E brake shoe movement

Post by UK66Bug »

I had another look today and tried to get the shoes touching the block at the bottom by adjusting the cable.This should at least reduce the movement when the brake is applied .Problem now is that the cable is too short .I think i can gain enough by shortening the conduit from the chassis 10mm.I 'll try again tomorrow.
UK66Bug

Post by UK66Bug »

Didnt shorten conduit in floor but chose to shorten the tube that goes in the backplate .Shoes now touch the block when brake is off.the shoes still move inside but only the amount the shoes move out to apply the brake .I can move the wheel about 5 deg when applied .I hope MOT man doesnt pick this up .Surley someone has had this before?.I have decided to leave it as i have spent too much time on it already.
Are there any plans to ressurect the German look site.I really miss it for this kind of stuff.
DORIGTT

Post by DORIGTT »

The Germanlook site is up, but now it's www.germanlook.net

Have a peek and hopefully Lanner will be able to assist you with your problem.
wrenchnride247

Post by wrenchnride247 »

The GL site has been up for quite some time, but is now .net instead of .com (long story about that)
wrenchnride247

Post by wrenchnride247 »

DORIGTT wrote:The Germanlook site is up, but now it's http://www.germanlook.net

Have a peek and hopefully Lanner will be able to assist you with your problem.
Man! I need to type faster...missed it by two min. :lol:
UK66Bug

Post by UK66Bug »

Thanks, you just made my day :D
josh55666

Post by josh55666 »

Awesome!! It’s just what I need!! Thanks!..............
Jadewombat

Post by Jadewombat »

My right rear brake does that as well. I thought it was the wheel bearing moving around. I have 924T brakes on my '73 1303. Doesn't bother me too much but I do think it's a bit weird. Doesn't bind when I have it off and the shoes/cable seemed adjusted correctly.