1303s ongoing GL project

You know, de-chromed, big Porsche rims, Brembos, etc.,... German Look rules!
xellex

Re: 1303s ongoing GL project

Post by xellex »

Thanks!
Let me show you what Ive been upto lately:
First, I decided to make a separate topic for the engine, so here it is, up to date with pics and a couple of videos:
http://shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=135975

And secondly, I managed to do something that I wanted for a long time: Wash/wipe function on the wipers, and intermittent variable time function:

I also installed a buzzer relay that goes on when you leave the headlights on, and open the door.

ImageImageImage
spyvsspy

Post by spyvsspy »

Nice ride. You are a dedicated VW owner/hobbyist! Good for you!
westypoo

Post by westypoo »

got a question...how did you get the fuel gauge to work with your stock vw sending unit? i just installed my porsche 914 gauge cluster and when i give the fuel gauge power it just pegs it on full, when its really empty. thanks. cars ,ooking good as always!
xellex

Post by xellex »

Hmm, well I wired the fuel gauge just like the original vw one, and it worked. Actually it works perfectly, and the needle goes all the way from full to completely empty. Maybe I have a different model sender unit in the tank than yours? Or maybe your sending unit is broken?
westypoo

Post by westypoo »

ya ill look into it a little further. thanks man.
xellex

Post by xellex »

I'm tinkering again with the electronics in my car. First of all I managed to get the tacho to read the RPM correctly, thanks to a Dakota Digital universal tachometer adapter.

And after that I took on a bigger challenge: I got a universal central locking remote controlled unit, and this is how far I got today:

All that's left now is the mechanical part... installing the actuators etc.

While working on the wiring I stumbled upon a problem: The fact that the bug has a single bulb in the dashboard for both left and right turn signals. And that's run by a wire coming from the relay. That was messing with the central locking, and I managed to change it. Now it's much better and the interesting thing is that the battery voltage is much more stable now and the gauges are not dancing in the flasher's rythm anymore.

And while I was at it, I remembered Joel saying on the auusie forums that there's an accesory position inside the ignition switch. I wanted to test that, and after installing a missing wire, it works now. That opened up some new posibilities for tinkering :P
xellex

Post by xellex »

It's so damn cold outside for a few weeks now, that I really can't do much but sitting in front of the PC, so I'm working on a side project. Hope you guys will like it:
www.vw1303s.com
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

In some of the pics you posted you mention you used Aidi A6 lower control arms.

Did this just work out? (sway bar spacing/944 ball joint fits etc?)
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
super71beetle

Post by super71beetle »

!! How did you convert your turn signal light from one single, to the two separate ones? I would very much like to do this with my 914 tach! (And also stop the constant buzzing and illuminated turn light i get when i turn the key to "on"????)
xellex

Post by xellex »

Piledriver wrote:In some of the pics you posted you mention you used Aidi A6 lower control arms.

Did this just work out? (sway bar spacing/944 ball joint fits etc?)
No, the lower control arms are original 1303 + Kerscher adapter ball joints.
The steering rack (rack&pinion) is from a late Audi 100 - early Audi A6, and also the 2 tie rods are from that same car model. That's probably what I'm referring to in those pictures.
xellex

Post by xellex »

super71beetle wrote:!! How did you convert your turn signal light from one single, to the two separate ones? I would very much like to do this with my 914 tach! (And also stop the constant buzzing and illuminated turn light i get when i turn the key to "on"????)
I'm not experienced in electrical stuff at all, so I work by trial and error, altho I do a little planning before acting :P
If I remember correctly, For separating the turn signal in the tacho, I removed the original wire that went from the turn signal relay to the tacho bulb, and spliced 2 wires to those that went to the actual left/right turning lights. I used those 2 separate wires to feed the small L/R bulbs inside the tachometer.
If you get a buzzing and illuminated turn light in the dashboard when turning the key to on, then the bulb is probably wired wrong and it's triggers the relay somehow...

Now that I think of it, I'm not 100% sure but I think the original beetle turn signal indicator bulb had a shared positive wire with the 2 "idiot" lights, and it's triggered by negative intermitant signal from the flasher relay. My mistake back when I installed all the porsche gauges, and probably yours probably was to trigger it by positive signal, while keeping it's original positive feed (thinking it was it's ground). Interestingly, that made it work in my case, but I think it was flashing opposite to the turn signals outside the car (turn signal on - small bulb off / turn signal off - small bulb on). That's why all the gauges were also dancing :))
super71beetle

Post by super71beetle »

Splicing two wires from the turn signals is a great idea! I think i might steal your for the turn signal lights in the tach... now that just leaves figuring how to wire up the idiot lights, because you're right - in the stock speedo they each share a + wire and each signal wire is a ground wire -not power- that completes it's circuit when there is no oil pressure or not-enough voltage from the alternator.
xellex

Post by xellex »

A few new pics:
This summer has been great.. I drove the bug alot, and it runs better than ever :D

ImageImageImageImage