1303s ongoing GL project

You know, de-chromed, big Porsche rims, Brembos, etc.,... German Look rules!
ngobet

Re: 1303s ongoing GL project

Post by ngobet »

xellex wrote:Ngobet,
Yes, I am using the 944 late spindles, but I won't recommend it, as it limits your choice of struts because of the different bolt pattern, and also because you will have to drill a hole through it for the speedo cable. It's much easier to use the early (pre 86) 944 spindles.
I don't know what you mean by the upper/lower diameter of the tie rod, but I will measure it if you can explain :P
I have no noticeable camber problems, but these custom struts have the adjustable upper bolt, just like the original Porsche struts, which gives you a bit of adjustability, and also, I have the topline camber adjuster bolts/bushings.
I wanted to use the 944 MC because it was in much better shape than my old one. From what I've read, it's best used in combination with the bigger porsche callipers, and the best MC for the NA 944 callipers would be the original super beetle one.
You can find all the info you need on these forums, and also on the germanlook.net forums which are back online for a while now, but you probably already know that :P
Ok, thanks for the answer.

For the diameter, I was just wondering if you measured the custom tie rod you bought from Kerscher. I'm sure it is directly available from the dealer.

thanks
Obiwan31

Post by Obiwan31 »

Hello Xellex,

Pretty nice job you've done :wink:
I intend to mount the same audi 100 rack & pinion on my 1302. Have you been able to correctly wire the electrical steering pump ?
I imagine that it is required to get a tacho signal to have assitance function of the speed of the car (less assitance at high speed) ?

Any usefull advise is welcome :mrgreen:

Obi
xellex

Post by xellex »

Obiwan, I still haven't turned the power steering pump on, because I always get caught up with something else to do.. .but it drives well for now.
It's been a while since I updated the topic, and I have installed some more goodies in the car:
An EDIS4+Megajolt ignition system, an electric fuel pump, and a complete Porsche 911 dashboard:
ImageImageImage

ImageImageImage

This summer was great, with a few nice VW meetings, you can find alot of pictures in my photobucket account, but the greatest was the trip to Le Bug Show at Spa Francochamps in Belgium. This is the album with about 1300 pics :D
http://s260.photobucket.com/albums/ii25 ... pe%20trip/

Gotta say, driving the bug on a real race circuit is something else...
tibimakai

Post by tibimakai »

Buna,
nice project! I've used to live there in Cluj. actually that AR cox green/silver car it was mine at the Timisoara meet, I have build it and then sold it three years ago. I have build from scratch that engine here in the states and shipped it to Cluj.
lately I'm thinking to go euro style, but I'm still in researching fase. most likely it will be a suby engine in the back.
for now I'm ok with my rabbit/golf v(2.5L).
http://img419.imageshack.us/i/00775vp.jpg/
Kecskemet/Hungary
http://img419.imageshack.us/i/00650oh.jpg/
http://img419.imageshack.us/i/00703hy.jpg/
temp control it's not real(Dacia, my dad's idea), but it has electric windows, electric antenna, all VDO Royale cockpit gages, Grant steering wheel, Jensen stereo(used to have a Kenwood but water got to it)
http://img419.imageshack.us/i/00723us.jpg/
Fireball xr700 electronic ign., electric fuel pump, fuel pressure gage by the carb
http://img419.imageshack.us/i/00789kk.jpg/
xellex

Post by xellex »

Salut Tibi! Actually, I know your old car, and it's owner. Lately it was sold again, and it's going through a full restoration. You will not recognise it at all. Lots of changes have been done.
Ok, time to update the topic.
I've worked alot on the 1303 since I last posted here.
I got another set of wheels and installed a Topline Parts strut tower brace:
ImageImageImageImage
xellex

Post by xellex »

I almost finished the 915 gearbox install and mounted a HD gearbox craddle and a CSP Cup Brace:
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
xellex

Post by xellex »

Bought a Kamei front spoiler and installed it, but it sits too low and I would break it instantly on the road, so I took it off for the moment. I'm tkinking about raising the front of the bug by a little.
ImageImageImage
And I'm continuosly gathering parts for the type4 engine, but that's another story. more to come later on.
Loser_Cruiser

Post by Loser_Cruiser »

How hard was it to fit the 944 seats? What all was involved? I'm thinking of the same thing. I love your car. Was machining needed for the later front 944 spindles? What struts are you using? Thanks!
xellex

Post by xellex »

Hi, and thanks for the nice words!
Actually it was a piece of cake in my case... The previous owner had installed some Opel Corsa seats in my bug, on some custom made brackets. All I did was to remove the seats, leave those brackets mounted on the floor of the bug, drill a few holes for the 944 seat rail mounting screws, and that was it. I can provide pics if needed, but it's really easy.
For the late 944 spindles, you need the Kerscher custom lower ball joints, and either the original 944 struts or custom made ones. The late spindles do not fit the vw 1303 struts. Only the pre '86 spindles do. Oh, and the late ones do not have the speedometer cable hole, so you have to drill through the left spindle if you want to use the original beetle speedo.
It's much easier to just find an early pre 86 set of 944 spindles imho.
In my case, I'm using custom adjustable struts, made by LA Performance in the UK. (http://www.germanlook.co.uk)
xellex

Post by xellex »

I'm happy to say that the bug is back on the road! After working on it for the whole autumn and winter, I finally made the first couple of hundred kilometers and the whole 915Gearbox+Type4 engine setup seems to work ok. I can say it's a totally different kind of animal, compared to the old 1.6L engine.
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
westypoo

Post by westypoo »

i gotta ask ya...i have the same headlights on my car....and thus far i hate them..they put out the worst lighting, i even went and bought HID's to try and help the light output, but it hasnt helped much at all. whats your experience with them? i got mine ebay.
xellex

Post by xellex »

I'm pretty sure they are not the same. I made these my own:
The whole lens assemblies + bi-xenon system came as a pretty good quality universal kit.
ImageImageImage

The backside projectors + mounting brackets and all are original metal Hella from my old headlights.
ImageImageImage

The clear glass is from a set of FK Golf1 headlights. Very good quality but plastic backside so they had to be sacrificed :P

ImageImage

This is how they looked completed:
ImageImageImage

And on the car:
ImageImageImageImage

The whole reason I did this is because I originally installed some clear glass poor quality (plastic) brasilian ones, which I have fitted with a H4 HID kit. The lighting was extremely good, but I was badly upsetting mostly every other person or driver on the road.
Now the dark/light delimitation horizontal line is very pronounced, as you can see and they are awesome. Of course I don't have auto-leveling but it's more than ok. I'm very happy with how they turned out.
ImageImageImageImage
westypoo

Post by westypoo »

thats awsome... i was thinking of doing the same thing as you have done...where did you buy that kit at?
xellex

Post by xellex »

I got it from a local parts store, but I'm sure you can find these kits on ebay also.
bender

Post by bender »

Your car is bad ass......Im old school,..But i do ride the fence..... :D