Something Wicked This Way Comes...

You know, de-chromed, big Porsche rims, Brembos, etc.,... German Look rules!
ahrivers

Something Wicked This Way Comes...

Post by ahrivers »

I have been lurking in the background for years. I thought it was time that I show what I have been working on for the past three going on four years. I started off into the world of germanlook about seven years ago with a 1974 Superbeetle that I had such big plans for. I gathered parts for car while I used it as my daily driver. I had Kerscher adjustable struts, Momo steering wheel, several autometer gauges, Tar-ox 6 piston disc brakes, CB Performance rear brakes, etc. All of these parts besides the struts pretty much sitting in the garage till I could take the Super off the road and do a complete makeover.
After losing a major contract my company suffered a variety of set backs, I had to sell the Superbeetle. A year goes by and back on solid ground I went in search of another Super, but I came across a 1963 that was just too good to pass on. Up until now all my research and parts gathering had been toward building a 74 Super GL, so now I had to sort of start over again. I found that if I switched to the later model balljoint front end and a I.R.S. I could use the parts that so far I had spent the most money on, the braking systems.
Now on to specs and Pics:

1970 original pan w/ one dime size hole in battery tray area, stripped, por-15 top and bottom
Bullet proof Front end:
4 in. narrowed beam from airkewld.com, then I added the steering damper mount and turn stop bracket from the original beam
Tar-ox 6 pistons disc brakes front drilled and stud to 4.5x5 at vdubengineering, then cryod,slotted and dimpled at frozenrotors,I painted the rotors, the calipers came in red, steel braided brake lines,new steering box,
Superduty narrowed tie rods from vdubengineering, new tie rod ends, and new lowered balljoints
Rear end:
Reconditioned and painted stock trailing arms, all rubber replaced with urethane
Cb performance rear disc brake, drilled and stud at vdubengineering, then cryod,slotted and dimpled at frozenrotors, I painted the calipers and rotors
Wheels and tires:
D'vinci Attivo's front 18x7.5, ET.43mm, 215/35/18, rear 19x9.5 ET. 30mm, 265/30/19

Interior: Momo steering wheel, AutoMeter UltraLight II gauges.
Soon to come: I really like the new Stealth seat by Scat series 1615. Check it out!
http://www.procarbyscat.com/new_releases/stealth.html

The only major change to the body was to add 3 in wider fenders from CCC. I had to redrill new holes in the bumper bracket in order to slide the bumpers rearward 40mm. I wanted big fenders and a rear bumper. This also cleared up some clearance issues I was having with the W decklid that Im using. Other changes were very minor such as script emblem on hood from volkswagen to street machince, fog lights, etc. By the way the car has a factory 3 fold ragtop, sorry none of the pics show it. The cover is black canvas.

Engine: Right now all I know is that it will be a 2 ltr. plus aircooled vw. Type 1 or 4 is still up in the air. Dream engine is a Type 4 2563cc. Go big or go home. But I haven't hit the lotto yet.

I put together a slide show of the build so far. Check it out. Dial up user beware, file is not small. High speed user are up and running in now time.

http://s11.photobucket.com/albums/a185/ ... 7e80ce.pbr
Slideshow down for now. :( Will be back up soon!
Last edited by ahrivers on Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
doc
Site Admin

Re: Something Wicked This Way Comes...

Post by doc »

Really nice!! Thanks for posting. We will be interested in the continuing results.

doc
david58

Post by david58 »

I am with doc I will be watching this thread. Nice work.
Hot, humid air is less dense than cooler, drier air. This can allow a golf ball to fly through the air with greater ease, as there won't be as much resistance on the ball.
DannyK

Post by DannyK »

Beautiful car man ! By the looks of the parts in your livingroom, I'd guess that you're a bachelor too; I like to bake parts in my oven ! :lol:
ahrivers

Wiper blades update

Post by ahrivers »

I really like the idea of the resto-germanlook or vintage germanlook. No changes to the outside stock body and trim, but the standard germanlook updates and upgrades to the suspension, brakes,and engine, etc. I like the look of the original wipers yet they barely move any rain off the windshield. So I decided to have the best off the both worlds. I retrofitted some up to date wiper blades to fit the original wiper arms. In the sunshine and at shows I use the original wiper blades, with the slightest chance of rain I switch to the modern wiper blades.

First I removed the center hinge post found on most modern wiper blades

A hack saw was sufficient and quick

Then I removed the mounting bracket used on the original wiper blades

The wiper mounting bracket is what you want to attach to the modern wiper blade

Use a screw to attached the original wiper blade mounting bracket to the modern wiper blade. This makes things quick and easy when its time for new blades. Cut off the hinge mounting post then attach the original wiper blade mounting bracket. The pics show some fairly used and very rusty original wiper blades that I got for two dollars at a swap meet. I needed the brackets and I didn't want to hack up a new set of wiper blades. Although I did buy a pair new original wiper blades for show and shine, they should last an extremely long time cause they never get wet.:)

Later I will find a new black top screw and give the bracket two coats of black satin paint.

Now with a few turns of a Phillip head screwdriver I can switch to modern wiper blades. As expected there is a very big difference in the performance of the blades. A easy project and worth it for those who drive there vintage vw's. (in the rain :shocked:)
ahrivers

Pictures Galore

Post by ahrivers »

ahrivers

Daytime Pics

Post by ahrivers »

doc
Site Admin

Post by doc »

Great idea! It is getting hard to find and expensive to get refills for older wipers.

doc
ahrivers

Post by ahrivers »

Question ---The question is do I keep the red detail on wheels? Interior is going to be black and red thought red detail on wheels would go good overall.

Update---- Rear fenders and running boards painted and install. All new brake components installed to go with new front and rear disc brake kits brake lines, master cynlinder and brake fluid reservoir. Body to pan seal installed and pan now completly bolted down. Transmission still sitting in the garage and engine in the hands of steve sands. After headliner then welding in torque bar mounting tabs. Next on the to do list install sound deadner and send car out to have headliner done.

More pics---

Dan Dryden

Post by Dan Dryden »

Looks good! 8)

I like the red detail on the wheels.
How did you do it?
helowrench

Post by helowrench »

To me, if you keep the red detail, take your body moulding and have it powdercoated to match
Bug-a-natic

Post by Bug-a-natic »

Sex
bender

Post by bender »

Well.......Lets see the motor...... :D
DerrickfromNC

Post by DerrickfromNC »

Anymore updates and pixs???
volksbugly

Post by volksbugly »

digging this man! nice work so far.
I have to agree red body molding would be sweet, but I think only if you doing red high lights in the interior such a black seats with red piping. if its all red then I think just the wheel trim would be fine.
but thats splitting hairs and to each his own. :)