Experimental Splitter

You know, de-chromed, big Porsche rims, Brembos, etc.,... German Look rules!
volkdent

Experimental Splitter

Post by volkdent »

Trying something a little different.

I had an extra front lip for my M3 and realized it's the same width as my bug (3" wider fenders) so I fabbed up an ABS splitter as a trial. It's REALLY heavy, but very strong and flexible. If it works, I might to it in carbon fiber, or just redu it with a hollow core so it's lighter.

Had to remove my old Optima battery so I decided to install a new Braille battery (12lbs) while I was at it.

Humble

Post by Humble »

Got another spare m3 splitter around? I could use one for my track beast once the bumper and spoiler are widened :D
volkdent

Post by volkdent »

Nope, but you can probably get them from a BMW parts dept. pretty inexpensively now. I bought mine years ago as a back up for mine but never needed it.

Jason
Wally

Post by Wally »

I think a splitter in general is a great idea and should actually really work well.
This one does seem to be quite 'blunt' or thick at the edge? Shouldn't they be a littel 'sharper'/thinner?
You could use it to fill up the gap to the fenders and make a complete front spoiler out of it? That would be great!
T4T: 2,4ltr Type 4 Turbo engine, 10.58 1/4 mi
www.apfelbeck.nl
"Mine isn't turbo'd to make a slow engine fast, but to make a fast engine insane" - Chip Birks
CalLookVWs

Post by CalLookVWs »

It would be pretty easy to mount a duct and flexible hose onto it (between the fender and the splitter) so cool the front brakes. Just a thought if you drive hard in the twisties
Hedrock wrote:As far as the polish goes you can start with a file and just go from there. You don't need a mirror finish just enough to see how much penetration you have.
That's what she said!
volkdent

Post by volkdent »

I'm using the space as a duct to force air into my radiator, that's actually what got me going on it. My radiator is completely out of the airflow so it's necessary to force air in there a la Corvette.

Jason
doc
Site Admin

Post by doc »

I like the look.

doc
CalLookVWs

Post by CalLookVWs »

Cool, any pics of the radiator yet?
Hedrock wrote:As far as the polish goes you can start with a file and just go from there. You don't need a mirror finish just enough to see how much penetration you have.
That's what she said!
volkdent

Post by volkdent »

With the splitter or just the radiator?

Jason
CalLookVWs

Post by CalLookVWs »

Any of the above. It would be interesting to see your setup. The majority of people just grease the wheel, it's great to see someone reinvent it once in a while.
That's what she said!
volkdent

Post by volkdent »

Here's a link to The Samba pics I've posted, I used to have complete threads on German Look.com, but it's gone....

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_ ... t_dir=DESC

Just start at the back and work your way forward to get it in chronological order!

Jason
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

Very nice!
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
CalLookVWs

Post by CalLookVWs »

That's pretty #$%*in awesome! Looks like you've got yourself a big kid's go kart. Man, I bet that's going to be fun to drive!
That's what she said!