17x8 50.8mm offset (dumb)

You know, de-chromed, big Porsche rims, Brembos, etc.,... German Look rules!
soultron

17x8 50.8mm offset (dumb)

Post by soultron »

It's probably a no, but here goes anyway. I'm getting a 1302 super and I already have a nice set of 17x8 50.8mm offset (5x120.6 and 5x114.3) mesh sitting around. What kind of voodoo magic will get these wheels to work? The drums will probably get re-drilled, but a spacer/adapter is not out of the question. Is the 50.8mm too much?
Derrick from NC

Post by Derrick from NC »

I would look at having a custom adapter made for your aplication. The 50mm offset on your wheels is probably about 20mm more than you need which means your adapter would be about 20mm thick. I would carefully measure backspacing & determine how much you need and calculate the necessary thickness of your adapter to clear everything & have full wheel lock.

Having said all that you are going to have issues with 8" wide wheels with stock width fenders.
soultron

Post by soultron »

Is everyone with 8in using wider fenders? I thought I might try rolling them.
Derrick from NC

Post by Derrick from NC »

I think the struts on your super will not allow you to tuke those wheels within your frt fenders so they will stick out.

On a swingaxle with careful inner fender clearancing, correct width on the adapters, and tires no wider than a 225/45 you may get the rears to work. Expect the tire to be about 1/4" off the springplate. All this may not be true for your IRS rearend.

Put someone in the backseat, squat the rear end & all bets are off.i

I had 17x8" Porsche 944 wheels on the rear of my 67 with stock fenders...very tight fit & lost a tire once due to rubbing on the inside of the tire each time the rearend dipped. I now have 18x10 Porsche wheels with 255/35 tires with 1-1/2 wider fenders. No clearance issues.

Up frt I have 18x8" wheels with 225/35 tires, 2' narrowed/lowered front beam and 1-1'2 wider fenders. At full wheel lock the front tires stil contact the inner fender area.
soultron

Post by soultron »

guess I'll just have to see what comes out then. I have a set of adapters coming so I'll see what I need when I get them. Thanks!