Anyone know what happened to Germanlook.com?

You know, de-chromed, big Porsche rims, Brembos, etc.,... German Look rules!
doc
Site Admin

Post by doc »

Or, perhaps, some may be interested in building participation here. You know, where everyone comes when the other sites don't work. :roll: The one with no ads and no donations. The one that has been based on boxer technology for 8 years.

doc
helowrench

Post by helowrench »

Doc, that was a succinct summation of exactly why I stay on this site.
Other sites hold my interest for breif periods, but this is home.

Rob
doc
Site Admin

Post by doc »

STF's Euro Look forum has been without a moderator/leader for a long time. That's my fault. If I am not mistaken, both Germanlook and SB.com kinda started on STF (i may be incorrect on this point). Both groups left without a thank you or acknowledgement. Both sites have done well and developed a strong following. I applaud their efforts and success. Both sites may have more liberal rules than STF - an important parameter for some.

But STF will continue to seek the key ingredient for an ongoing aircooled vw/boxer online community - active participants who will spend time helping others and refrain from self promotion.

STF is no stranger to technical problems, spam and other various intrigues. To the extent that we can help these other great sites add their unique contribution to the hobby, STF stands ready to serve. I'd like to think some of our recent visitors will hang around awhlie.

Respectfully,

doc
helowrench

Post by helowrench »

Doc,
That exactly covers why I am here.
I do not post much at all, and could not care about my post count.
I read to glean information, by reading most of the new posts each time I visit. I try to answer any questions to which I have direct references or knowledge.
Mostly I just learn.

On STF it seems to be much more oriented to wrenchers, doers, and modifiers, not the crowds of non-experimenting stock-nazis that seem to flock toward some of the other sites, or the smack talkers that go yet elsewhere.

And I appreiciate that.

Doc, you can take this as a fromal THANK YOU for providing us with this site.
The rest of you guys get a THANKS as well, for keeping this site what it is.

Rob
MNAirHead

Post by MNAirHead »

helowrench wrote:Doc,
That exactly covers why I am here.
I do not post much at all, and could not care about my post count.
I read to glean information, by reading most of the new posts each time I visit. I try to answer any questions to which I have direct references or knowledge.
Mostly I just learn.

Rob
Rob..

Please contribute.. you have something that someone else can glean from.

If everyone lurked there would be no ongoing content.

We need you.

T.
helowrench

Post by helowrench »

I do contribute whenever and wherever I have the knowledge or info.
I do my best to add as possible to the wealth of knowledge on here.

Rob
volkdent

Post by volkdent »

taozen wrote:$200!!!!!! Where we you when I was looking for donations???? :D

He is aware of the issue as he has some posts on SBO about it as recent as a couple of days ago. I just haven't seen any responses from him directly when I have been emailing him for weeks.

SBO had issues for a short time as well, but seems fine now. That is just a different host (which I think he has Top Line on as well).

Until I get a response and fix, I have parked the domain name. Unfortunately, that still leaves my company name associated since I am my own registrar on it as well, but oh well. I may pop up a custom parked page with a brief explination and refering people to SBO. Maybe that will help get it some attention.

I had an evolution to GL planned, but didn't sense much interest. If there is, I will reconsider. It was for a site for all boxer-motivated vehicles. Considering the natural mix of Subys into VW, Porsche parts on VWs, etc. If figured having a site dedicated to the boxer was a logical middle ground. I don't need more to do, but let me know if there is enough of you interested.
Maybe you can take over again? I thought it ran great before, and it's been running similarily until this bump in the road, I just like consistancy, wherever it comes from. BTW, I don't have a boxer powered GL, so I'd prefer to keep it GL content, not just boxer engines....
volkdent

Post by volkdent »

doc wrote:STF's Euro Look forum has been without a moderator/leader for a long time. That's my fault. If I am not mistaken, both Germanlook and SB.com kinda started on STF (i may be incorrect on this point). Both groups left without a thank you or acknowledgement. Both sites have done well and developed a strong following. I applaud their efforts and success. Both sites may have more liberal rules than STF - an important parameter for some.

But STF will continue to seek the key ingredient for an ongoing aircooled vw/boxer online community - active participants who will spend time helping others and refrain from self promotion.

STF is no stranger to technical problems, spam and other various intrigues. To the extent that we can help these other great sites add their unique contribution to the hobby, STF stands ready to serve. I'd like to think some of our recent visitors will hang around awhlie.

Respectfully,

doc
The only reason I spend more time on GL forums is that its specifically about what I'm into, I still check in on STF from time to time, but seeing the 1000th post about "how do I lower my rear end" just gets a little tired after awhile. There is only one "Euro-Look" forum, and it certainly doesn't contain the breakdown of information that the GL forums do. All the Porsche additions, all the Type IV stuff, it's just a smaller sub-group of the bigger VDub family, but it covers specific needs. I didn't ever see the GL forum as stealing STF patrons, we just have another place to share that's all. I donate to GL simply because it's such a small subgroup, not that popular, and therefore needs more support from the smaller population. I just like the specificity of GL forums, STF can't be everything to everyone.

Jason
volkdent

Post by volkdent »

I got an email from Super today, thought I'd share it because it explains the situation most thoroughly.

"Jason, please see my post on SBO! about Germanlook and it's status. Here is a link: http://www.superbeetlesonly.com/forum/i ... topic=9795 I never did get a reply from the hosting company about any server-side changes but after some looking around I found an error in the database. I submitted a trouble ticket to the vBulletin people and they've given me some advice on the next step to fix the database.

That was the point that I was up to until Zen changed the domain, as he said " I have parked the domain name". Well, what he did was take away my access to the control panel and tools to work on the website and forum. The "parked domain" redirects any and every page to the message he has posted, including the web pages that contain the tools to work on the forum.

Zen also stated that he hasn't been able to contact me by email, that also is because of this "parked domain", the domain for my email now resolves to that parked domain too and has consequently shut down my email. I've sent Zen several emails and am waiting for a reply, there is a thread on the SBO! forum that I've used to post updates about Germanlook.com as we go.

I am also dealing with a kidney stone that is stuck inme because it's too big to pass and will have surgery this Thursday to have it removed, that is also why my time online lately hasn't been much at all. However, I am very aware that the Germanlook forum is down and I have been working on it, it's now at the point where I can't do anything until Zen removes the domain redirect that has hindered me."

That's it for now, so be patient and Super should have it back up soon.

Jason
wrenchnride247

Post by wrenchnride247 »

Wow, Thanks for the heads up Jason. I don't have a SB so, don't use SBO (maybe a future project will be 1303 though) Glad someone heard from superman. (kidney stones suck!)
Steve C

Post by Steve C »

Hi Doc

I applaud your efforts on here, I get withdrawal symptoms when I cant get onto my few favourite forums, Shoptalk, GemanLook, SuperBeetle and Aussie Vee Dubbers.

I really miss German Look, the people on there are extremely polite and you don't seem to get many "16 year old experts" telling everyone what to do.

The skill that German Look users show when they post photos of their rides is astonishing and an inspiration to me.

I'm not sure about German Look, but I believe that in the old days the super beetle section on Shoptalk was flooding flooding Shoptalk, that's why Superman moved it.

Steve
petevw

Post by petevw »

'01 Golf - some mods
'72 Super - more mods
'52 Split - crazy mods

'65 Bus 21w W\T - stock for now