1303 tube frame in the works

You know, de-chromed, big Porsche rims, Brembos, etc.,... German Look rules!
vw1303

Post by vw1303 »

Im using 1-1/4 SCH40 pipe. I finished seam welding all the tubes. 2 full days of tig welding $100 is argon gas and a nice sunburn on my arms.
Next thing to tackle is the aluminum front section.
Daniel G

Post by Daniel G »

vw1303 wrote:Im using 1-1/4 SCH40 pipe.
Seriously? I hate to break this to you, but that cage is just going to be for looks if it really is made of pipe. I mean, you did a great job with it, but pipe is made to withstand pressure, not bending forces. You should have used tubing to build a roll cage...

Granted, you probably won't ever wreck the car and need the cage to save your life...but what happens if you do need it?
vw1303

Post by vw1303 »

1-1/4" 0.125 wall thickness mild steel I feel pretty safe behind that. Plus the additional rigidity of the body mounted to the cage means i'm sittin pretty. I am just stoked on how rigid this chassis is going to be. Plus if the cage breaks, jesus saves right.
Daniel G

Post by Daniel G »

Well, the problem with pipe is that it doesn't have the same quality control that is required for tubing. Tubing must be made to certain standards and must be made with a certain grade of steel, whereas pipe can be pretty much any kind of steel, as long as it can hold up to the pressure that is required of it. So some pipe could be of the same quality as steel tubing, and would be safe for structural use, but some other pipe could be made from scrap iron and would not be safe for structural use...And unless you have a way to tell what grade of steel the pipe is made from, then it is a big gamble to take.

I'm not going to say that cage definitely would not hold up in a crash, but to me the risk wouldn't be worth taking...

Just my $.02
vw1303

Post by vw1303 »

Finally got a rollin chassis sort of. Back to the welding shop for more fab.

volkdent

Post by volkdent »

lookin' good!!! Keep us posted!

Jason
vw1303

Post by vw1303 »

More Progress -
TIG Welding with the new Dynasty 300dx.
More tig
X Brace
vw1303

Post by vw1303 »

Some more goodies to be added. New seats. 4 point camlock harness. Hydraulic handbrake. New 12.5" steering wheels. Rabbit steering rack with custom clamp. Check it out.
vw1303

Post by vw1303 »

Chassis is finished. Now it's time for paint and install the aluminum floor. Then get the brakes and everything else working. :lol:
Cam

Post by Cam »

That is cool! The car looks so tough and purposeful.
All custom alloy front end work (incl rack mount) is verging on car pRon though 8)

Well done, dude. Doing all this yourself is something to be very proud of.
vw1303

Post by vw1303 »

{Progress} frame is powdercoated. Suspension is installed. Brake Calipers, master cylinder, hydraulic handbrake slave cylinder, brake biasing valve, and brass tee's installed. Just need to make some custom brake lines and install a motor. Anybody else make there own brake lines? PIcs

Jadewombat

Post by Jadewombat »

vw1303 wrote:{Progress} frame is powdercoated. Suspension is installed. Brake Calipers, master cylinder, hydraulic handbrake slave cylinder, brake biasing valve, and brass tee's installed. Just need to make some custom brake lines and install a motor. Anybody else make there own brake lines? PIcs

Are you talking about the flexible lines? I know a business in Tucson that doesn't charge too much, he can make any custom line in rubber or SS any length and pressure tests everything so it's DOT certified before it goes out.
volkdent

Post by volkdent »

I did my own lines. It would be a lot better if all can be done out of the car, but the way I built mine I had a lot of bending and flaring to do in the car. It's really not to hard, and surprisingly, once tightened properly, none of mine have leaked.

BTW, I just noticed you are from Vancouver! I was born and raised in Aldergrove/Langley area myself, the pic out of your garage looks like maybe 16th Ave! I heard there was snow on Christmas!

On a side note, I hope you have plans to mount the steering rack more securely, it makes me very nervous the way it sits right now.

Additionally, Daniel G is right as well that tubing would have been the way to go, but compared to nothing at all, pipe is better, just use tubing if there is a version 2.0! I think it will hold up just fine for what the future holds for it chassis wise, much stiffer with what you've added than it was stock.

I've made tons of mistakes with mine, don't worry. It's the nature of the beast!

Jason
southsidebugs

Post by southsidebugs »

what struts are you using up front. i've never seen thoose before. also, very very nice work.
volkdent

Post by volkdent »

What's the latest?

Jason