anybody with widened fiberglass fenders?

You know, de-chromed, big Porsche rims, Brembos, etc.,... German Look rules!
volksbugly

Re: anybody with widened fiberglass fenders?

Post by volksbugly »

+1 Creative Car Craft
http://www.creativecarcraft.com/

These are 3" wider fenders, I do plan on putting some different tires and wheels but haven't done that yet.

High quality work, Comes with Headlight Buckets built in.

Album link to my turbo wing: it has a few shots of the fenders
https://picasaweb.google.com/1078300117 ... directlink

Album link to some random shots with front fenders installed

Before and after pics with fenders
itawolf

Post by itawolf »

+2 CCC

Also

Mark V

And klokker from Denmark

Had or have all 3
RET Marine 0317 --with VW on the lobe!!
Lots of iron in the fire
Marc

Post by Marc »

The 1½" wider CCC rears will work but you'll have to get the backspace/spacer combination right and (especially for 9") trim a bit off of the suspension bump-stop pad. Depending upon the tire and the rim diameter you may also find that the sidewall comes very close to the springplate nuts, the bolts may need to be reversed to provide safe (~½") clearance. Here's my Bug with 17x8" rear wheels - personal tastes will vary, but I prefer the near-stock look to the lipped ones that look like throwbacks to the days of Chevy wheels on adapters in the `60s:
itawolf

Post by itawolf »

Marc wrote:The 1½" wider CCC rears will work but you'll have to get the backspace/spacer combination right and (especially for 9") trim a bit off of the suspension bump-stop pad. Depending upon the tire and the rim diameter you may also find that the sidewall comes very close to the springplate nuts, the bolts may need to be reversed to provide safe (~½") clearance. Here's my Bug with 17x8" rear wheels - personal tastes will vary, but I prefer the near-stock look to the lipped ones that look like throwbacks to the days of Chevy wheels on adapters in the `60s:

+1 ^^^^^^
RET Marine 0317 --with VW on the lobe!!
Lots of iron in the fire
Roflhat

Post by Roflhat »

Car above looks very smart
whiteboyspooky

Post by whiteboyspooky »

is there any us based companies that make the flared kershcer type fenders?
ErikTande

Post by ErikTande »

Marc wrote:The 1½" wider CCC rears will work but you'll have to get the backspace/spacer combination right and (especially for 9") trim a bit off of the suspension bump-stop pad. Depending upon the tire and the rim diameter you may also find that the sidewall comes very close to the springplate nuts, the bolts may need to be reversed to provide safe (~½") clearance. Here's my Bug with 17x8" rear wheels - personal tastes will vary, but I prefer the near-stock look to the lipped ones that look like throwbacks to the days of Chevy wheels on adapters in the `60s:
What wheels are those? And what's your brakes/hub setup? They look amazing!
Marc

Post by Marc »

Front: Stock-width beam, `Ghia rotors (redrilled/studded to 5x130mm), 7" ET50 rims w/~25mm spacers, 205/50-17s.

Rear: Stock control arms, 944T Porsche brakes, 8½" ET 50 rims w/~20mm spacers, 235/45-17s.

Rear fenders are CCC +1¼", fronts are CCC "widened" pre`67 (also ~1¼"). Rims came from a Boxter.

We trimmed the edges of the front shock towers back & rewelded them, and chopped some off of the rear bumpstop pads - all to give ample sidewall clearance so that in the event of a puncture the tires won't be shredded. Steps that probably wouldn't be absolutely necessary but I consider them worthwhile. The 944 brakes have integral drum parking brakes; to hook them up you need custom "swan" links and extension tubes on the cable sheathes, parts which are available in the aftermarket...otherwise they bolt right up to a Beetle (944 bearing retainer bolts are longer so you need those too) but custom pipes must be made to connect the flexhoses to the calipers.