how wide of a rim is possible to fit under front an rear sto

You know, de-chromed, big Porsche rims, Brembos, etc.,... German Look rules!
buggpower

how wide of a rim is possible to fit under front an rear sto

Post by buggpower »

Would 15x8's fit front an back with no problem? Id be using addapters (do to the fact you never know when u want to go back to stock) an also would 195/60's fit on the wheels? I'm just wanting a different look, not using porshe rims though...there expensive.the rims I'm thinking of gettin they go all the way up to a 20x10.

Rims im thinking of choosing, maybe.
http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direc ... ti%2BSpoke

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direc ... bp=5-120.6
buggpower

Post by buggpower »

anyone?
MikeVW

Post by MikeVW »

Are you building a baja? Those look like truck rims and probably would not fit in with the Euro Look. You need to know offset to know if they would fit.

Mike
Chris V

Post by Chris V »

8's & no problem - NO

Tell us about the car...SA? Short, long axles? IRS? K&L? BJ? MacPherson strut? Brake work other than stock?

For me 6's are the practical limit under a lowered standard width BJ car with stock fenders (that is when the rim offset and tire size are watched)...and you can put 7's under the back with some minor work IRS/SA.
buggpower

Post by buggpower »

Chris V wrote:8's & no problem - NO

Tell us about the car...SA? Short, long axles? IRS? K&L? BJ? MacPherson strut? Brake work other than stock?

For me 6's are the practical limit under a lowered standard width BJ car with stock fenders (that is when the rim offset and tire size are watched)...and you can put 7's under the back with some minor work IRS/SA.

I got a 72 Standard beetle with IRS, everything is stock on the car for now. I was wondering if it was possible to put any type of 15x8 (not nessacarily those i posted) The offset to the rims I was checking out, they have 19mm's in backspacing, the offset i dont know.But what Id like to do is lower the bug where the wide rims fit nice in a lowered look.I know its not a Euro look but i didnt know where to post this :lol: i just seen it said Euro Look- big rims ect...
buggpower

Post by buggpower »

ive decided i think i'll get something on this page...what you think? 15x7's front an back, with a 2inch narrow up front an wider fenders in back, an lower the car then build the suspenson up an eventually go big on the motor... :twisted: like you guys do in the german look do...im basically crossing the styles. :lol:
doc
Site Admin

Post by doc »

Bugpower,

Take close note of Chris V's comment above. I also am looking at wheels and tires for an older, lowered T1. Larger wheels and tires are a complex issue, which is probably why this question (asked about a 1000 times) doesn't really get a definitive answer.

Chris V's answer above is a good one. 15x6 is usually doable with a little time and money. 15x7 means more time and more money and maybe making compromises (wheel spacers, etc.) that you don't want. 15x8 means bring your checkbook and get ready to meke substantial modifications to your car. I'd hate to see you spring for a $1000 set of rims only to find that it was going to take another $1000 to get them on.

Wheels and tires are such a great looking addition to our cars, but go slowly before you lay down your hard earned cash. Contact some of the vw vendors who work on suspensions and front ends. Also, your local hot rod wheel shop may have info for you (maybe not). Like I say, complex issue. Easy to make an expensive mistake. I'll be interested to hear how you wind up.

doc
buggpower

Post by buggpower »

buggpower wrote:ive decided i think i'll get something on this page...what you think? 15x7's front an back, with a 2inch narrow up front an wider fenders in back, an lower the car then build the suspenson up an eventually go big on the motor... :twisted: like you guys do in the german look do...im basically crossing the styles. :lol:
this is the page i was referring to.
http://www.americanracing.com/wheels/wh ... ?section=V
theres a couple of whels on there i like. i read on airkewld.com to fit 15x7inch rims on a bug, the front can either be narrowed 2inches or put a 1.25inch wider fender up front. then the rear requires just wider fenders.
would 15x7's fit 196/60's ok? my tires are pretty new, reason why i asked. :lol:
buggpower

Post by buggpower »

well i found some cooler rims, not sure how they would look on a bug but heres the link.
http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direc ... 7&bp=4-100
there light rims (very light) 15x7 is the size id get, in hyper silver, an plus i can probably run my 195/60's on them. i know id need to narrow the frontend 2" an buy wider fenders for the rear.what you guys think?
dogguira

Post by dogguira »

I am driving a 72 standard it has 6inch wide rims and stock fenders. They do not rub although the front tires poke out past the fenders a little.
buggpower

Post by buggpower »

yeah im going to use the wheels from the 74 parts bug i got. there the 8 spoke rims, but im going to paint them solid high gloss black. the rims currently on my car, i found out are pretty rare, an i'll swap wheels out when i take it to shows, an use the others to beat round town in :lol:
Bruce2

Post by Bruce2 »

I've got 7s and 8s on my Bug with stock steel fenders. I have run 195/50s, 205/50s, and currently 205/55s on the front. My beam was chopped 3 3/4", but that proved to be too much, so now I have to use a wheel spacer. Your offset will require a different beam chop.

On the rear, I have run 225/50 and now 215/60s on the 8" wheel. Again, the right offset will make it work. I did have to trim the bump stop on the pan, and the rear body mount.