Euroblade bumpers on a '71 Super Beetle

You know, de-chromed, big Porsche rims, Brembos, etc.,... German Look rules!
meanmontess

Euroblade bumpers on a '71 Super Beetle

Post by meanmontess »

I got the brackets from CIP that allow me to adapt early style bumpers on a late car. They are made by EMPI. They were labeled front and rear but didn't say which side they go on. Problem is when I mount the brackets, I can't get the bumper blades toline up right. The holes where the bumper blade goes to the brackets won't line up. I have trid flipping the brackets, etc. I can't figure it out. I feel like an ass because a job that seems so easy as installing different bumpers is not that easy. I figured this was as easy as bolting on the brackets, then the blades. What is the problem? I was also told that a "rear" euroblade wont fit on the rear of my car and that I will have to use a "front". Any help will be apreciated. Thanks.
coolj30

Post by coolj30 »

Are the mounts you bought aluminum? If so they are only for mounting the 3 rib blade bumpers. I made the same mistake and bought them hoping they would work for mounting early blades on my 71 beetle.
meanmontess

brackets

Post by meanmontess »

no they are steel. I just tried fooing with them again....No luck. 2 of the brackets have bends in them and the other 2 are straight. I'm thinking maybe they were mislabeled. Do you have any pics of your set up? Thanks for the response, John
Marc

Post by Marc »

Considering that the holes in the early bumper facebars are located for the stock brackets which come through the front apron rather than the fenders, I would expect that new holes will need to be made in the facebar. Use extra chrome bumper bolts to fill the original holes.
meanmontess

bumpers

Post by meanmontess »

Thanks Marc. I was thinking about drilling holes in the bumpers and covering them with bolts. It's just sort of strange. When I mount the brackets, the blades won't even fit flush to the bracket. I'll keep playing.