longer lugs

You know, de-chromed, big Porsche rims, Brembos, etc.,... German Look rules!
orangesuper

longer lugs

Post by orangesuper »

Ive got a set of mag wheels from the 70s or 80s for my super the problem is they are about 1/2 thick so the lugs from my stock wheels are to short they only have about one thread showing when I stick them through the rim. Where can I get a longer lug bolt?
Marc

Post by Marc »

Audi 5000. 17mm head size but the right thread (14x1.5) and from your description just about the length you need. Watch out, though - they used a couple of different rims, some that took lugs shaped correctly for VW rims and some that were conical on the underside, make sure the shape of the bolt matches where it seats against the rim.
orangesuper

Post by orangesuper »

oh ya I forgot to mention that, the other problem is the rims are flat on the face and most lugs are coned. I was thinking I could maybe just put in a stud with locktite and then use a normal nut? The only problem I can see with this is the holes in the rim are a little bigger then the 14mm lug so without a conical lug I dont see how it would center itself perfectly.
Marc

Post by Marc »

Oh. For that type of rim what you really need is to install studs in your drums and buy "mag" or "shank" lug nuts & washers to match.
Find the nuts first - take a rim along and check that the shank of the nut isn't too long (can't have it protruding beyond the inner side of the rim - sometimes you can find washers of varying thicknesses to dial that in; you can also grind them shorter if need be).
Then you'll need studs that have the correct thread to match the nuts (usually 7/16" or 1/2", I wouldn't recommend the 7/16"). You may be able to find some press-in ones at someplace like NAPA that have a large enough shoulder that they can be press-fit into the 14mm VW holes after reaming & spot-facing them - more trouble and expense than the screw-in kind but much more secure.
Screw-in studs will be "OK" but you must be sure to check the lugbolt torque periodically.
There do exist mag-style lugbolts with the 14x1.5 VW thread, too, but they aren't too easy to find these days, and it's a lot harder to change a tire with them. One ruse is to put one screw-in stud in per drum to give you something to hang the rim on while you get the other three lugbolts started. If you find any, remember to check the backside protrusion on these, too - it can only be made less with thicker washers, unlike the nuts which can be ground shorter.

http://www.dansperformanceparts.com/bug ... ytire3.htm
http://www2.cip1.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=1257
http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp ... C13%2D9515
orangesuper

Post by orangesuper »

thanks marc thats exactly what I was looking for