Do Cookie Cutters Fit Under Stock Fenders?

You know, de-chromed, big Porsche rims, Brembos, etc.,... German Look rules!
coolj30

Do Cookie Cutters Fit Under Stock Fenders?

Post by coolj30 »

I am considering buying a set of 6inch wide cookie cutters for my 71 beetle, but I am wondering how well will they tuck under the front fenders?

I will not be using adapters, but will be getting the different lug drums in back and rotors up front.
Marc

Post by Marc »

Do you know the offset (the "ET" number)? Odds are that they'll fit under the fenders OK but the tires will rub against the control arms at full lock so you'll have a bigger turning radius. Another concern (particularly with drop spindles) is the clearance to the lower ball joint. The shape of the inner "bell" and the diameter of the rim will be factors there - you may need to run spacers.
I've got 16x6" ET50 Porsche rims on CB Performance disk-brake drop spindles on the front of my `69 Beetle, and even with 8mm spacers I still have ~½ a turn less of steering range plus the sidewalls (205/50-16) will rub on the shock towers at full lock - I'll need to trim their edges and reweld them before it sees the road.
ngobet

Post by ngobet »

They fit rather easily a superbeetle.
My setup with 7' for the rear. On this picture, I also use 2cm spacers-> no problem with stock fenders and 6'!
Yellow73

Post by Yellow73 »

I have 6" cookie cutters under my '73 standard beetle, with ghia front discs on a lowered (about 1-1.5") beam and CB Rotohub rear disc brakes. The offsets are perfect on standard fenders with no spacers front or rear for the wheels.
buggpower

Post by buggpower »

So 15x6 is fine up front with stock fenders, what about 15x7's in the rear?I will be using adapters though, there 1" thick.
Marc

Post by Marc »

buggpower wrote:So 15x6 is fine up front with stock fenders
That would depend upon the offset and what your personal interpretation of "fine" happens to be. A friend of my son's has 16x7" on the front of his `77 Standard and they do fit...if you don't mind a turning circle that's over 50'. It takes him two passes to make a tight corner :roll:
buggpower wrote:what about 15x7's in the rear?I will be using adapters though, there 1" thick.
Can't say without knowing the offset. There's room in there for 7" rims if it's right (you may need to grind some of the bump-stop pad away to provide safe clearance to the inner sidewall).
buggpower

Post by buggpower »

15x6's have a 38ET, I was told they'll fit with the adapters up front under the fenders, thats fine with me lol.The 15x7's have a 23et and i was told they may stick out bout 1/2 inch which is not a big deal to me.
Marc

Post by Marc »

Adding an inch-thick adapter reduces the effective offset by that much. 38-25.4=12.6mm, 23-25.4=-2.4mm. I doubt that either will fit under stock fenders, but the fronts might (depending upon tire size) at stock ride height. We started out discussing a `71, though - if you have a short-axle swingaxle the rear's a whole 'nuther ballgame.
http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=101480
Chris V's car pictured has Type III rear brakes (drums cut to fit on short-spline axles) which are slightly wider than Type I and the inner sidewalls still rub on the springplates with the car in the air, so that's about the limit for clearance on the inside - and you can see that the outside clearance to the fenders is still far from generous with 235-15 tires. Like I've said, 7" will fit but the numbers have to be right.
Last edited by Marc on Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
buggpower

Post by buggpower »

Marc wrote:Adding an inch-thick adapter reduces the effective offset by that much. 38-25.4=12.6mm, 23-25.4=-2.4mm. I doubt that either will fit under stock fenders, but the fronts might (depending upon tire size) at stock ride height. We started out discussing a `71, though - if you have a short-axle swingaxle the rear's a whole 'nuther ballgame.
Im aware the topic was about a 71 with swing axle but I wanted to know the same thing and didnt want to start a diff topic about the same thing.Mine is a 72 with IRS.I will run 195/60's on the front and rear.
Marc

Post by Marc »

buggpower wrote:Im aware the topic was about a 71 with swing axle.
Dunno where you got that idea. `71 (at least all those sold in the US) were IRS. From the numbers you've given, your rears will stick out past the fenders considerably more than ½" - unless you plan to jack the ass end up you can expect them to rub badly on stock fenders.
With 195/60s on 5½" rims ET26 is "perfect". Add 1½" in rim width and you'll need half that (19mm) more in offset, around 45mm. At -2.4mm effective offset, look for the tires to stick out a good inch and a half.
buggpower

Post by buggpower »

well that bites.Oh well looks like I'll either jack up the rear some or get fiberglass fenders.
Marc

Post by Marc »

Just drop the rear adapters and get some drums with the 5x130 bolt pattern, and ET23 7" with 195/60-15s have a chance...the front's still questionable though, they'll probably rub when the body rolls in corners.

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=57533
Last edited by Marc on Fri Jul 06, 2007 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
buggpower

Post by buggpower »

Marc wrote:Just drop the rear adapters and get some drums with the 5x130 bolt pattern, and ET23 7" with 195/60-15s have a chance...the front's still questionable though, they'll probably rub when the body rolls in corners.
I want adapters because I want to keep my stock bolt pattern if I ever want to go back to my current rims now.Drums drilled in 5-130 Id probably need to change everything my luck, anyway.
Marc

Post by Marc »

If the two sets of drums are close in diameter it's no big thing to switch them. You could also have your present drums redrilled/spotfaced for press-in studs on the 5x130 pattern, and if you ever wanted to go back to 4x130 simply knock out four of the studs (I wouldn't advise trying to take them out and put them back in more than once or twice, though, since the fit will loosen each time).
buggpower

Post by buggpower »

Would the face of the drums be the only thing id need if i bought the faces only, with the 5-130 bolt pattern?If so does anyone else carry them besides Cip1, they seem to only carry the 10 bolt pattern drums.