trouble with new posts

bugninva

trouble with new posts

Post by bugninva »

not a suggestion, but a question...when the changeover happened i can really no longer use the "posts since last visit"(used to be "new topics")....i get the list of xxx number of topics that have new posts, then when i view one and go "back" to the list it says "no topics meet your search requirements"....or such....anyone else having this problem, or do i need to adjust something on my end?
sideshow

Post by sideshow »

Try using this URL;
http://www.shoptalkforums.com/search.ph ... d=newposts
as a work around.
bugninva

Post by bugninva »

sideshow wrote:Try using this URL;
http://www.shoptalkforums.com/search.ph ... d=newposts
as a work around.
thanks sideshow....i was still using a bookmark from the old site..that may be my problem...<crossing fingers>

thanks again...
doc
Site Admin

Post by doc »

At the top of the "New" homepage, on the right, you should see a written link called "View topics since last visit". That should do the same thing as the "New Topics" on the old header bar. I hope to have the header bar back soon. One doesn't think about how convenient some of these little things are til they're gone.

doc
bugninva

Post by bugninva »

i think i have figured out what is happening...it didn't happen before he change over...if i to the "view posts since last visit" as always i get the list of topics with new posts...where it goes bad is if i click on a link in one of the posts...if it opens in a new window and you close that out then you are viewing the thread where you found the link...thats all good..but when you click "back" to go back to the list of topics with new posts it is blank...and tells me there are no new posts since my last visit....guess i need to NOT click on links to pics/ ect...
sideshow

Post by sideshow »

My little STF surfing trick;
I use firefox for web surfing, but this will work in mozilla (netscape 7 & up?) and I assume the tabbed version of ie.
Bookmark STF as http://www.shoptalkforums.com/search.ph ... d=newposts
Then right click on the topic of interest --> open in new tab
or;
Then right click on the newest icon Image --> open in new tab

So that way I have one browser window, with the left tab for an index and the right tabs as topics.
bugninva

Post by bugninva »

sideshow wrote:My little STF surfing trick;
I use firefox for web surfing, but this will work in mozilla (netscape 7 & up?) and I assume the tabbed version of ie.
Bookmark STF as http://www.shoptalkforums.com/search.ph ... d=newposts
Then right click on the topic of interest --> open in new tab
or;
Then right click on the newest icon Image --> open in new tab

So that way I have one browser window, with the left tab for an index and the right tabs as topics.
thanks sideshow, that is a great idea....assures that the original "list" won't be affected....
doc
Site Admin

Post by doc »

I'm not sure i get it yet and I'd like to understand. If I click on view topics since last visit, I see new topics. Open one of the threads in the same window (now i'm past the list of new topics) and click on a link (to a picture or other website) which opens in a new window. Now close window showing pictue. Now back to original open window with open topic - back button active. Click back button and I go right back to the list of new topics. Seems to work as it should both in IE and Firefox (nice browser BTW). Nothing seems wrong. Do I understand correctly that when you follow same process, clicking Back button goes to wrong place?

I thought that the only way to get to where you seem to be getting would be to log off - thereby creating a different "last visit".

Sideshow, your trick is a good one. I created the shortcut just in case. Thanks.

doc
bugninva

Post by bugninva »

doc wrote:I'm not sure i get it yet and I'd like to understand. If I click on view topics since last visit, I see new topics. Open one of the threads in the same window (now i'm past the list of new topics) and click on a link (to a picture or other website) which opens in a new window. Now close window showing pictue. Now back to original open window with open topic - back button active. Click back button and I go right back to the list of new topics. Seems to work as it should both in IE and Firefox (nice browser BTW). Nothing seems wrong. Do I understand correctly that when you follow same process, clicking Back button goes to wrong place?

doc
you have it exact Doc....when i close out the window(from the link) and then click back on my browser to go back to the list i go back to the search results page and get the "no blah blah since last visit" thing....it doesn't do it everytime, but has been frustrating me...<G>...
sideshow

Post by sideshow »

doc wrote:...Click back button and I go right back to the list of new topics...
doc wrote:...clicking Back button goes to wrong place...
This is an example of a very subtle difference.

What is happening in case #2 is that the browser is reloading the previous page.
Now in case #1, the browser is simply going back and not checking STF for a new version.

Both behaviors are correct and can be adjusted in the browser's preferences (look for cache options). Some other things like proxies both blind and user controlled can cause the same trouble.

It is kind of confusing.
doc
Site Admin

Post by doc »

geez, sideshow, i'm ready to try and snatch the pebble from your hand. Where have you been all my life.

So, I'm thinking that my browsers are working as most would like them and Chris's has a "faulty" setting. What's the fix? In IE, Tools/Internet Options/Advanced tab, there is a Allow Page Transitions switch. Could this be the culprit? Mine is turned on.

I also totally don't get the happens sometimes, not others. Hmm.....

doc
sideshow

Post by sideshow »

My Zen advice; You can never understand computer problems, you just get used to them.

?don't check for new page? feature
Using ie I would look at tools -> internet options -> [General] tab and tempory internet files [settings] -> use the (x) automatic and make sure there is some hard drive space reserved like more than 50MB.

Don't get excited if that doesn't work. A few things could effect this.

[ ] Enable Page Transitions
In ie this is an eye candy feature that does fancy screen wipes instead of just rendering the page. I would turn this off.
doc
Site Admin

Post by doc »

apparently, I missed the pebble. But will take advice. Thanks.

doc
bugninva

Post by bugninva »

okay....i've followed the suggestions here...(thanks sideshow), but the problem persists....it came about when the site did its "change-over"....i changed nothing and honestly have no problem like this on any of the other internet forums...(non-vw, but seems to be the same software)....it is kind of erratic, if i read a LONG thread(mutliple pages) then hit "back" (however many times) to get back to the listings(from the search or "new topics) i get the box that says not topics meet my criteria....it's a bit annoying....so i have to basically pick which topic in the "new topic" search i think i will like the best because that is the only one i'll get to see most of the time...it *has* to be something on my end i suppose, but i don't know what...been viewing this site for years and this problem is new....
doc
Site Admin

Post by doc »

This time you're the bug!?!

Can't explain, Chris. Wish I could. Everthing seems to work for me no matter which browser I use. I'd like to hear about it, if you find an explanation.

doc