Split the Wasserboxer/Oxyboxer forum?

Sean S

Split the Wasserboxer/Oxyboxer forum?

Post by Sean S »

Sorry, I'm new here but...

It seems like the wasserboxer/oxyboxer forum is for those wanting to build a "type V", but not really for those wanting to HiPo watercooled motors.

Shouldn't the complete list be:

Type 1
Type 2
Type 3
Type 4
Wasserboxer
Oxyboxer

Or would that be...

Type 1
Type 2
Type 3
Type 4
Type 5 (Oxyboxer)
Wasserboxer

Or is it...

Type 1
Type 2
Type 2.5 (Wasserboxer)
Type 3
Type 4
Type 5 (Oxyboxer)

Unsure here, but it seems like some people are just pumping up their H2O motors without going air. I have seen sites like "GoWesty.com" dedicate areas only to the H2O performance.

Anyway, just a thought about making the progression more logical.

All the Best, and thanks for the site...it's already been invaluable.

Sean
tencentlife

Post by tencentlife »

I'm with Sean on this one, although there are a lot of tips'n'tricks discussed by the OXB folks that, of course, relate to the WBX as well. But it's clear that, overall, we are talking about two very different animals, and they get pretty confused in the WBX/OBX forum.

I'm interested in practical, long-lived road cars and fun vans, and I'd love a forum devoted solely to rebuilding and hopping up the WBX, making the final phase of VWAG's long evolution of the flat-4 the best it can be.

Maybe this breakdown:
T1
T2
T3
T4
T4.5 WBX
T5 OBX

or whatever.
doc
Site Admin

Post by doc »

Interesting. First time I have heard this particular suggestion.

I think I will let others weigh in on this. So, let's give the thread a little time.

A couple of "negatives" occur to me. First, the split will cause another forum to be created. Our list is already pretty long and I have resisted other "new forum" suggestions in the past for this reason alone. Second, the Type V forum is one of the least traffic'd forums now. Just a few posts a day. Can't be too hard to find something, eh? Third, the forum currently does not have a moderator. If split, that problem doubles. Fourth, STF has always been an "air-cooled" site. The WBX came to the site originally due to the conversion to air-cooled subject.

I bring these up simply for consideration, not to quash the idea. I will welcome hearing other opinions from forum regulars.

Thanks,

doc
tencentlife

Post by tencentlife »

True, there isn't a lot of daily traffic on the T5 forum, and I've been able to read most of it and glean useful ideas. Like I said, a lot of the technology is shared. I stumbled onto STF as I desperately searched for more detailed specs than are found in Bentley as I tried to modify my WBX, and the forums have been a great help.

I think us WBX folks are just looking for a home, is all it is. The late Vanagon is the culmination of VW's long evolution of the T2 concept, but ironically it has become the bastard stepchild of the VW afficionado community. It almost doesn't exist in the minds of many. I know STF is ostensibly an air-cooled place, but to me what we're all really talking about, engine-wise, is the boxer engine, which has its own romance. How you get the excess BTU's off the thing is a lot less relevant to me than the basic structure and characteristics of the engine and all of our shared love for the simple, elegant German engineering embodied in the rear-engined VW's.

There are other places on the web for Vanagon lovers, but technically they are very pedestrian. There is lots of talk about setting up your Westy with cool camping mods, fun stuff and useful to be sure, but practically zero discussion of powerplant engineering.

As for traffic, "if you build it, they will come"?. I dunno. We can dream, can't we?

Thanks for replying, doc. We'll wait and see.
doc
Site Admin

Post by doc »

Well said. I agree. WBX is a starnger to most of us, but is certainly the extension of the T2 line. The commonalities are apparent. Let's see who else rings in.

doc
sideshow

Post by sideshow »

I am against splitting the forum.

It shares motor parts from 40hp (1200cc beetles) to in line water cooled A1 ( and whatever the evolution lead A4 platform? ). But is noticeably neither. The wbx is an orphan in both the water cooled and air cooled world how would more specialization help?

What is the low down on being a moderator? I assume all the donuts I can eat, free beer, and groupies?
Yeah some may call it overkill, but you can't have too much overkill.