Problem with emails sent by ShopTalkForums server

fin-alis

Problem with emails sent by ShopTalkForums server

Post by fin-alis »

Hello,

Sorry my bad English. In Finland there is not good Type 4 forums, so I tried to register to this forum.

I was surprised why activation mail did not come to my mailbox. Fortunally I have access to our mail server log files and found these lines:

Jun 24 13:07:19 wekkuli postfix/smtpd[16777]: connect from www-mailfilter.evo.ams.nl.leaseweb.com[62.212.64.70]
Jun 24 13:07:19 wekkuli postfix/smtpd[16777]: NOQUEUE: reject: RCPT from www-mailfilter.evo.ams.nl.leaseweb.com[62.212.64.70]: 504 5.5.2 <shoptalkfor@localhost>: Sender address rejected: need fully-qualified address; from=<shoptalkfor@localhost> to=<[email protected]> proto=ESMTP helo=<www-mailfilter.evo.ams.nl.leaseweb.com>
Jun 24 13:07:19 wekkuli postfix/smtpd[16777]: disconnect from www-mailfilter.evo.ams.nl.leaseweb.com[62.212.64.70]

Problem is that forum send mail with "shoptalkfor@localhost" sender address, but only fully qualified addresses are accepted in our and many others servers. This fqdn check is because of spammers.

I completed my registration with gmail account and another username, because without registration I can't find any admin contact and can't send message about problem to anybody. Perhaps everyone doesn't have alternative address and they can't get in.

Regards,

Jani Alaranta
Finland
VW 411 -70, VW Type 1 -74, VW Caddy -85
doc
Site Admin

Re: Problem with emails sent by ShopTalkForums server

Post by doc »

Jani,

Thank you for your info. I will look into mail issue.

As you suspect, most of the problem stems from a software security issue. I don't know, given our limited technical resources if I will be able to repair or not. But you do bring up the need to place a "Contact Admin" button on the front page, so those having problems could have a contact.

Anyway, welcome to STF! :D I know you will find the T4 info here extensive and many of our members, US and int'l, to be very knowledgeable.

doc
fin-alis

Post by fin-alis »

Hi!

Thank you doc. "Contact Admin" button is good idea.

I think you can repair this e-mail issue from Administration Control Panel (ACP).

In left side of screen there is Client communication -> E-mail settings.

There is two settings of e-mail (Contact e-mail address and Return e-mail address).

Fill correct e-mail address to these fields and I think problem is away.

Regards,

Jani
doc
Site Admin

Post by doc »

Thank you. I'll give it a look.

doc