We need a LOUNGE for offtopic stuff.

Piledriver

We need a LOUNGE for offtopic stuff.

Post by Piledriver »

As stated in title. "Soap Box" "Lounge" etc...

Registered only, no guest.

All mods can moderate? Or no moderation?
(perhap delete after some time?)
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
doc
Site Admin

Post by doc »

I am interested in all other opinions.

doc
Glenn

Post by Glenn »

Lounge as in "Rants"?

If so let me say that theSamba is better without it.
Glenn
74 Beetle Specs | 74 Beetle Restoration | 2180cc Engine
"You may not get what you pay for, but you always pay for what you get"

http://www.DasVolks.com
MNAirHead

Post by MNAirHead »

Not sure if you kids remember there was a chat box for a while.. Unfortunately it was super tough to keep from sliding down hill.

I believe the issue became coming up with some sort of rules and enforcement.

It quickly turned into fun topics that kiddies may not be ready for.

Maybe we're ready again?
Kelley

Post by Kelley »

STF used to have a lounge a few years back. I kinda liked going there from time to time, as it kept the other forums and topics technical, while allowing the extraneous stuff to be bandied-about about in the "lounge".

I vote for reinstating the lounge forum.
motorbreath53

Post by motorbreath53 »

I JUST posted a thread about this same idea.... and then saw this thread...

I deleted my thread, but here's the first post anyway.
So, I searched around for this idea first... and Doc, I think I know your opinion on this... but hear me out.

I know that this is a STRICTLY VW site... and I can appreciate that.

BUT! During the hours (don't tell the wife) that i've spent hanging out here, i've made A LOT of friends. Well, they at least pretend to be my friend....
anyway, The majority of these friends are not just VW guys... but CAR guys. (and I think that is true for the majority of the people on this forum.) It would be fun to be able to show these friends the "OTHER" toys that are coming together in the garage...

I am not suggesting that we completely change the theme of this site... It is a VW site and should REMAIN a VW site... but would it be possible to add an "STF OTHER" forum? Just a simple "OFF TOPIC" forum at the bottom of the Forum Index for us to post the other parts of life that we are proud of?

*off-topic vehicles (ie tow rigs, drag/circle track cars/ SCCA stuff)
*tools
*trailer projects
*camping/RV-ing
*family stuff
*etc....
Baja5 was right...
SiQDiZ
Site Admin

Post by SiQDiZ »

what about a general chat subforum with only AC VW talk? No politics / rants / other stuff.?
Leatherneck

Re: We need a LOUNGE for offtopic stuff.

Post by Leatherneck »

Piledriver wrote:As stated in title. "Soap Box" "Lounge" etc...

If it happens I would vote for all mods moderate so that way it is covered. No would you hit it thread, instead just send me the pics :wink: Not a Rants forum but someplace to talk about other things. And would suggest members only and with X amount of posts.
helowrench

Re: We need a LOUNGE for offtopic stuff.

Post by helowrench »

Leatherneck wrote:
Piledriver wrote:As stated in title. "Soap Box" "Lounge" etc...

If it happens I would vote for all mods moderate so that way it is covered. No would you hit it thread, instead just send me the pics :wink: Not a Rants forum but someplace to talk about other things. And would suggest members only and with X amount of posts.
the min time and post count would help keep the riff raff out.
I would also submit that it be a one page only affair where anything that falls off the front page be dead and deleted.
Any thing like this will require some moderation, otherwise those off road guys will drag the rest of us down into the gutter with them

Just kidding,
motorbreath53

Post by motorbreath53 »

otherwise those off road guys will drag the rest of us down into the gutter with them

:lol: everybody needs a dirt bag friend.,... I'm just helping my friends by not making them look far... :lol:

and... try... just try to say this doesn't look fun...
Baja5 was right...
Kelley

Post by Kelley »

motorbreath53 wrote:Image
Climbing the rock would be fun, I don't know about standing next to them,:twisted:

I think you need a bigger helmet, for those rocks above.
david58

Post by david58 »

It would be nice to have a lounge to discuss other cars as we all drive them and have problems with them. Me and another STF member have spent alot of time on other sites trying to get a wiring diagram for a FERD Totem Up.
I don't think that would do much for the rock.
Hot, humid air is less dense than cooler, drier air. This can allow a golf ball to fly through the air with greater ease, as there won't be as much resistance on the ball.
david58

Post by david58 »

david58 wrote:It would be nice to have a lounge to discuss other cars as we all drive them and have problems with them. Me and another STF member have spent a lot of time on other sites trying to get a wiring diagram for a FERD Totem Up.
I don't think that would do much for the rock.
While helping another STF member out I ran across this. Wiring diagrams can be a pain in the brain. Here is a diagram I was helping him with.
I can hardly make out the lines much less the text.
But if you right click the image and copy it then paste it into paint you will have 20/20 vision if you think I am kiddin try it.
Ok I also found a way to add a image over a image in paint as well.
See :lol:
So I guess now I need to tell you how to do it is anyone interested?
Hot, humid air is less dense than cooler, drier air. This can allow a golf ball to fly through the air with greater ease, as there won't be as much resistance on the ball.
doc
Site Admin

Post by doc »

I'd love to see sticky posts on this, how to post pics next to each other (2 to a row), how to use quotes, how to post a pic, how to draw lines on a pic (like arrows), etc. Would be great all in one place like maybe the the newbie forum or News about STF. I could look into getting them into the FAQ.

doc
fusername

Post by fusername »

while I wouldn't mind a off-topic forum, as a lot of us in the offroad forum have gotten a bit buddybuddy I'm afraid, I don't think I would use it too much personally, but likely step in from time to time or if an interesting thread popped up.
that said, I would like the idea of a STF misc forum. Where you can post your side projects, non vw, house renovation, oh god pr0n broke my computer help me fix it before the wife comes home, etc. stuff like that picture editing could go in as well. basicly a final technical forum, rather than chat.

or we could try a general chat on for a month, then delete it and decide if its worth keeping or a liability. just some ideas, hopefully my post count is high enough for you to listen.
give a man a watch and he'll allways know what time it is. give him two and he can never be sure again.

Things are rarely just crazy enough to work, but they're frequently just crazy enough to fail hilariously.