Slow Loading (is it me?)

John S.

Slow Loading (is it me?)

Post by John S. »

Hi,
I have a high speed cable modem. Everywhere I go is lightning fast. This place is fast only sometimes. The rest of the time its really, really slow. I leave and comeback sometimes if I don't feel like waiting. Could it be on my end? Security settings or something?
doc
Site Admin

Post by doc »

Don't think on your end. We ocntinue to try and track down this issue. It has been elusive. Bear with us, please. It is our experience that "slowdowns" seldom last more than a few minutes.

doc
John S.

Post by John S. »

thanks for the speedy info!
doc
Site Admin

Post by doc »

Wish I had the drop dead answer.

Unfortunately, it has been a complicated problem. Our database is very large. Every function on the board is really a database query. This is probably the root of the problem. We have enough server and connection to support the traffic. All these issues are also complicated by the internet itself, which simply doesn't produce completely consistent results. Frustrating, I promise.

We will keep looking.

doc
Scott H

Post by Scott H »

I'm glad this topic is here. I came into this forum today for the same reason as the OP. The site pretty much always is really really slow for me. I'm on fast connections both at home and work and it's slow both places and has been for quite some time.

There is a huge wealth of information here but it can be very hard trying to find it simply due to how slow the searches can be. In fact, unless I'm searching for some specific information that I remember is here, I will only check here at STF every 3-4 months now simply because of how slow it is for me. Even then I'll often give up after a while and move elsewhere to look for the info. Just trying to browse through the forums is really slow too.

I'm online reading several different ACVW forums/websites every day and at one time I also read STF every day but no longer read here consistently because of the above reasons.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining at all and I appreciate your work here, Doc, and the fact that the forum is here but it can be extremely frustrating.
AdminSteve
Site Admin

Post by AdminSteve »

A lot of emphasis has been put on the FAST connections these days. Well its not as simple as saying "I have a fast connection so your site is slow" You could have the fastest connection in the world, but unless every other person on the web was taking the day off its still not going to be FAST.

The web works like a giant cob web you have point A trying to connect to point B to do this the signal will try to travel the shortest path possible. This is not always the best answer due to the different networks (grids) available.

Each part of the country has different amounts of load on the net. West coast (so cal) has a huge amount of traffic...east (new york) the same. This has a HUGE influence on your speed. some grids slow down so much they have sites dedicated to just this kind of reporting. Often reported by a number factor 0-100 most of the smaller grids will have high numbers while the bigger more traveled grids will have much lower numbers.

With the amount of High Speed connections be utilized these days the web gets slower each day as the powers to be try to improve the current web infrastructure.

When DSL and Cable started popping up I use to tell people that your speed is only as fast as the computer your connecting to(you have DSL and are downloading a file from a dial-up connection you only going to be as fast as the dial-up connection) This still holds true but now the web itself plays a bigger part in the speed game.

This site has a very good connection to the web I myself am on a 10Mbps connection and I see the site every day some times it loads at the snap of my finger and some days its much slower.

I hope this will help some people understand the web design better.

Internet Traffic Report
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

Sometimes when it is loading real slow I will hit the stop sign ( stop loading page) wait a few seconds and hit the refresh button, like sitting at a traffic jam and turning onto another route with less traffic . Works for me. :D
Towel Rail

Post by Towel Rail »

I don't have anything useful to contribute, but I've noticed this phenomenon as well. It will appear as if the site is down for a minute or two at a time, then will return. I have a major case of ADD and a half dozen other sites to peruse, so it's not that big of a deal. ;)

- Scott
Scott H

Post by Scott H »

Still painfully slow for me too.

Could it have anything to do with this?: Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group

Are there later updates to the software that would help out? :?
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

Scott feel your pain buddy :lol: We know there is a problem and are working on it, trust me this is aggravating for us as well. Just hang in there guys!
MNAirHead

Post by MNAirHead »

Scott H wrote:Still painfully slow for me too.

Could it have anything to do with this?: Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group

Are there later updates to the software that would help out? :?

Scott...

Overall.. actually the direct opposite. Using an older software revision on new architecture will produce a faster result.

Kind of like asking a PhD in English to read "Dick and Jane."

I've learned many times that the connections are different via different on ramps. Internet (or TCP/IP) connections normally vary greatly depnding on who is connecting the pieces.

It's common for places to not fully program their connection hardware.

I've found the major carriers (phone companies and cable companies) have erratic speeds depending on time of day.

Now if I could get my video crammed through my copper wire any faster (while I'm checking email.. uploading a web page and other stuff going on with other screens).

T.
rsb

Post by rsb »

Just out of curiosity... Is there a way to delete old topics that you posted?

I know that I have posted some topics that are carp. Wasn't my intention at the time, but they have no use to anyone anymore. I think we have all (generally speaking) authored such topics. If we were able to delete this junk ourselves, wouldn't that help to reduce the Dbase size and hypothetically speed things up. I know it's not a magic bullet, but it might help a little.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not talking about good/ useful to future user topics here, just junk.

P.S. I'm loving the new spell check feature!

-Brian
SiQDiZ
Site Admin

Post by SiQDiZ »

deleting posts is not something that will speed up the loading speeds, the problem is not database size related :idea:

A forum is all about older posts - that way we have a nice archive. When someone has similar problems you encountered, then can find the solution with the search function :D

thanks

Oscar
Scott Novak

Post by Scott Novak »

With all of the slow reaction time that you often get on STF, I'm still extremely happy that STF even exists! Great Work Guys!

If you want to talk about slow, try the old BBSes with a 300 baud dialup acoustic modem!

For you youngin's out there BBS = Bulletin Board System which predated the WWW. You had to dial up the individual site with your modem through the telephone lines at blazing speeds of 300 baud in the very early days. It was a big deal to have a BBS with multiple phone lines where more than one person could use the BBS at a time. No photos online either.

And when I was young we had to walk to school through snowdrifts 3 foot deep, uphill both ways!

Scott Novak
doc
Site Admin

Post by doc »

Response times much better since last software change! Thanks, SiQDiz!!

doc