PHPBB Major Update

Moderators: lcslouis, doc

falcor

Re: PHPBB Major Update

Post by falcor » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:29 pm

Can we now maybe please allow wider pictures that are stored off the site to be displayed? a 1024 or 1200 pixel image should be ok shouldnt it?

Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:45 pm

Larger pics take up more space in the server. More space equals doc has to pay more money. Hope all are donating some green stufff to help. I have some reading glasses I can lend you if the 640X480 or 600X800 is hard to see :mrgreen:

paul_f

Post by paul_f » Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:16 pm

Falcor said hosted offsite. That won't use any server space

Piledriver

Post by Piledriver » Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:16 pm

Restricting offsite pic size primarily helps folks connecting via phone these days, some folks don't realize they may have uploaded full 4K resolution pics to photobucket etc.

There are standard ways of dealing with that, I'm sure its on the To-Do list.

falcor

Post by falcor » Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:17 am

Its just a bit annoying as I make my pictures 1024 or 1200 wide for my own website and link to those. Making a separate size for STF just gets too cluttery in my image library. I cant see 1024 images being much of an issue for a phone user today. 99% of the people has some kind of smartphone and those that doesnt probably doesnt browse STF on their non smart phone... Ans since I'm hosting them myself it doesnt affect the STF cost...

SCOTTRODS

Post by SCOTTRODS » Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:04 am

My phone automatically deals with picture size... much better than the sites do. Also better than my old Windows PC's did... The new MAC does all kinds of stuff... never know what will happen, but I always get something of pictures... could be due to the high res display... dunno.

This is not the only forum I deal with that has picture size issues... most I work with do not... they just allow off site picture hosting at whatever size and leave it up to the user to to work out viewing anything they post.

petew

Post by petew » Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:44 am

Another thing worth considering is, there are many people with bad internet connections. I'm down to dial up speed this week. Even 480x640 can take some time. Anything over 1000 takes longer than the kettle takes to boil. I understand the offsite link thing, but just put the website link to the pic if you want to include huge pics. For most things, 640x480 and a close up of the part will more than suffice.

SCOTTRODS

Post by SCOTTRODS » Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:47 am

Are there really that many people with *that slow* of internet speeds anymore? I'm not bunking your thought... just curious what folks think and how many are on stone age internet (dial up) normally... I understand the implications of the picture size but find it hard to believe larger pictures are a problem for real anymore. I certainly understand the storage issue of who stores it... but speeds are pretty decent even on dial up nowadays due to so few people using it anymore... I remember my first Dial up internet seemed faster than the stuff some people have now... but I also know pictures were much smaller due to technology level availability. Of course my first computer had a *hardware* 56k modem... it took up about half the inside of my computer mid sized tower... after that everything went to software modems that were nowhere near as robust... And as soon as I could I went DSL, then to FIOS... probably the first guy in my neighborhood that got it... I was jones'n for high speed internet back then... now we stream video at 4k on 3 or 4 devices with no problems...

I digress... My point was going this way : Viewing shouldn't be the forum's issue... it should be the individual's issue.

Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus » Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:23 am

Scott, for various reasons FIOS became an expense I didn't need so we went to an air-card (you plan's $$$ is per the GIGs you want/need). Add to that some new, but very slow inexpensive computers it does make posting, especially pix (Photobucket, since they decided to allow advertising and make you pay monthly for not getting it, has gotten very slow to the point of timing out now) very difficult. With all the talk now of Air only data FIOS might be questionable in the future too; I've heard this discussed several times lately.

petew

Post by petew » Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:18 pm

SCOTTRODS wrote:
Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:47 am
Are there really that many people with *that slow* of internet speeds anymore?
Probably not in capital cities or similar, but in lots of regional/country areas internet access can be touch and go. Facebook and similar sites have made their access easier and easier for these sorts of reasons.

Paul H

Post by Paul H » Fri May 26, 2017 1:42 am

I just noticed my notifications in the junk box