looking for some help

speedfreek88

looking for some help

Post by speedfreek88 »

I usually don't like to ask for help because i'd rather research and figure it out myself but with me not really experienced with megasquirt and this being the first time i've messed with soldering circuit boards i have no other choice if i want to get this done (been assembling off and on for 2 weeks).

I've mostly assembled my MS2 3.0 following the MSExtra manual and i've gotten to the part where i'm modding the board to drive my edis coilpack directly (buggy has megajolt currently) and i'm getting confused the more i look at it and i can't really afford to mess up and burn this thing. If anyone has any experience modding the MS2 for direct edis coil control would you mind Pm'ing me? Just looking for a little help thanks guys!
speedfreek88

Re: looking for some help

Post by speedfreek88 »

anyone? mainly just trying to verify what jumpers i need because i've come across a few different sources that contradict each other...
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

The only "sources" you should be looking at are on msextra.com, assuming you are running recent firmware.
If there is any confusion in the manuals, that needs to be fixed.

If you still have the obsolete B&G firmware loaded, you should fix that, first..
Forget the megamanual exists, it will only cause headaches.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
speedfreek88

Post by speedfreek88 »

I've only been using the extra manual... I don't have any firmware loaded yet because I am still building the board. I've got the bip 373's mounted to the board and I'm going to start wiring them in today. If I'm not using the q16 space do I just leave it be or jumper the terminals like you would when you omit r37 and 38? I'll keep reading the msextra manual and see if I can focus a little more and clear my mind up!
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

http://www.msextra.com/doc/general/sparkout-v30.html
Good diagram here, scroll down a ways. Why not use q16?
Jadewombat

Post by Jadewombat »

speedfreek88

Post by speedfreek88 »

Thanks for the replies everybody!

Chip... I actually came across that diagram last night! That diagram shows one of the bips in place of r37 and I had read either here or the extra manual that a lot of people will omit the overcurrent protection of r37 and r38 and use those 2 spots for the coil drivers so that's what I did... don't have a use for q16 so I didn't know if I just left it alone or had to bridge it like I did with r37 and 38.

Edit: I just reread the manual (step 22) and it was talking about "linking" out r43 not q16. What exactly does linking out mean... bridging it with a copper wire?

Looking more at that diagram... is it as simple as using q16 and its terminals for one driver and then using r37, r38, extra heatsink, or the ms case to mount the second bip373 and then use jumper wires to hook up the second driver?
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

I would have suggested a quadspark extrernal driver to keep the noise out of the ECU, but it sounds like you got it.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

speedfreek88 wrote:Thanks for the replies everybody!

Chip... I actually came across that diagram last night! That diagram shows one of the bips in place of r37 and I had read either here or the extra manual that a lot of people will omit the overcurrent protection of r37 and r38 and use those 2 spots for the coil drivers so that's what I did... don't have a use for q16 so I didn't know if I just left it alone or had to bridge it like I did with r37 and 38.

Edit: I just reread the manual (step 22) and it was talking about "linking" out r43 not q16. What exactly does linking out mean... bridging it with a copper wire?

Looking more at that diagram... is it as simple as using q16 and its terminals for one driver and then using r37, r38, extra heatsink, or the ms case to mount the second bip373 and then use jumper wires to hook up the second driver?
Q16 IS your first coil driver spot, notice that it is still used on the diagram i showed you. No reason to locate them to both of the resistor spots. Either leave one blank, or put something useful in it like boost or idle control. There is no need to get rid of r43 as far as i know.
speedfreek88

Post by speedfreek88 »

Ok great that helps a lot! I read somewhere about R43 not being included in the kit and i thought it was on diyautotune but it was somewhere else when i was doing research... i found it in my pile of parts. Thanks for all the help everybody!