relay board and grounding issues? "letting out the smoke"

Thorkhild

relay board and grounding issues? "letting out the smoke"

Post by Thorkhild »

I installed 2 bip373s on a second heatsink on my v3.0 MS1 and tied the grounds to the bottom of the r43.

The control go through S4 and S5.

I didn’t add a separate db15. I just used S4 & S5 and I am using a relay board.

Question is, Is the ground lines on relay board circuit board strong enough to handle the ignition plus everything else ?

Reason why I ask is, I think I am burning up my relay board. I am not sure if it is because of the grounds or something else.

Can I just jumper from the relay board near the db37 to ground? Or would it be better to run a separate ground out of the MS1 case straight to ground from the bip373 ground pins ?

I am using shielded cables inside my relay cable for the ignition control and my VR in.

Thanks

Eric
Thorkhild

Re: relay board and grounding issues? "letting out the smoke"

Post by Thorkhild »

Well it turns out the trace on the relay board for the s4 position was not up to the task. So I added a jumper wire from the pins on the underside between the db-37 connector and the s4 connector.
burnt2.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
gtmdriver

Post by gtmdriver »

That's interesting.

I'm running an MS2 V3 and a relay board and I'm directly driving a Ford wasted spark coil pack and 2 banks of 2 high impedance injectors.

I'll keep an eye on the relay board. Thanks for the heads up.
Volky

Post by Volky »

Hi,

I did not have your issue but I soldered a wire on the underside on a few traces, too. Better safe than sorry. :shock:g
1970 VW Beetle with 2109cc turbo with MS-II v3.0, wasted spark, electronic boost controller, dual table, launch control and 3.88 tranny. All done by me...:) t03 running 48lb. Injectors, Intercooler, Water/Meth injection at 15psi.
Thorkhild

Post by Thorkhild »

I ended up doing the same by adding extra wires under the relay board for my ignitor signals.
Volky

Post by Volky »

Thor.....

How did it work out?
1970 VW Beetle with 2109cc turbo with MS-II v3.0, wasted spark, electronic boost controller, dual table, launch control and 3.88 tranny. All done by me...:) t03 running 48lb. Injectors, Intercooler, Water/Meth injection at 15psi.
Thorkhild

Post by Thorkhild »

Its all good now !! now I just have to find time to tune.

And, fix all my turn signals, headlights, brakes ..... the usual aircooled maintenance required asfter sitting a while.