First Time MS2 Build/Questions

nogoodwithusernames

First Time MS2 Build/Questions

Post by nogoodwithusernames »

Hey all, I've been working on this project for a long while now and I've had a little bit of a thread over on TheSamba but I feel like this is a better place for it. I'm finally getting close to having this thing running!
First I'll give some motor specs.

1745cc stroker with a 76mm crank, 85.5 pistons, 5.5" H-beam rods, Mofoco 040 heads, with full flow oil filter. This was my first engine build but so far everything has measured good and I'm anxious to see if it runs without blowing anything up! :?

As for everything else I got a pair of the throttle body manifolds from VW Speedshop over in the UK, they are a single barrel dual port throttle body and seem well made so far. I've got most everything else from Mario at the Dubshop so I'm running LS2 coils, and his wiring harness. He's working on my ECU right now and I will be getting an LC2 and CamSync from him when he's done with that as well. Going to go full sequential with the four channel board from JB Perf.

A couple questions so far before I get too much further...
1: I've got the crank sensor wheel bolted up to the fan (Type 3 motor so fan and pulley combined) but the missing tooth is not really lined up with anything in particular. I think this is fine since you can adjust the degrees BTDC or ATDC correct?
2: For the LC2 wideband where should I put the bung? I'm running the over the top header/exhaust system from ACN. I'm thinking either right before or after the three bolt flange?
3: Do I need any sort of balance tube between throttle bodies? They have threaded ports but I re-drilled and tapped one to put the IAT sensor from Mario there. I would think I'll use the other to run a line for the MAP in the MS2 box?
4: I already talked to Mario about this and he should be sending me a diagram he's used for T1 systems but I'd like to keep the stock fuel pump relay in place so I don't have to mess with the stock wiring at all. I think I just need to add the extra relay in the MS2 manual and then splice in the right fuses to the existing fuel relay?
nogoodwithusernames

Re: First Time MS2 Build/Questions

Got the crank sensor bracket welded onto the fan shroud, is there any specific distance from the teeth the sensor needs to be? Right now it's right about a 2mm gap by my guess.

Also not MS2 related but where do people mount external oil filters on their T3 setups? I'd like to keep it on the engine assembly not under a fender or something so I don't have to disconnect the hoses whenever pulling the engine.
nogoodwithusernames

Another update from over the weekend. ALMOST got to fire it up but could not find an inline FI rated regulator that would work for testing the engine in the shop. So startup is scheduled for this weekend, and I have Friday off for some extra shop time 8)
I did get everything else needed and just have a bit more wiring with the relays and fuses before it's good to go.
If anyone on here is going to the Sacramento Bug-O-Rama at the end of the month I'm planning on entering her in the show (If all goes according to plan anyways) so feel free to come critique my work!
nogoodwithusernames

No startup this weekend but made progress at least. Got a call setup with Mario tomorrow morning and hopefully figure some stuff out.
nogoodwithusernames

Yesterday was the day, got it up and running with help from Mario! That guy knows what he is doing for sure! I've got all day Saturday to get it stuffed in the car and make sure it's wired up right, but I only should only need ignition switch, battery +, and ground. Everything else I have pre setup on my little project board. (Aka a bit of 1/4" plank with everything screwed on in a nice orderly fashion)
Then I get some time to drive around and fine tune the tune. We will see how that goes with my first time using this system, but I've got a pretty good base tune already so it should go well enough.
nogoodwithusernames

I've now got a running MS-EFI engine in the Square, that can at least get me around the block and back home! It was certainly a long journey what with my first long block build followed by my first MS buildup.
I don't think I'd have it up and running if it weren't for Mario's help with startup and some tuning, not to mention the whole wiring harness and some ECU work.
Time to get some road time in now and get the tune dialed in!