Wideband controller

clintonddk

Wideband controller

Post by clintonddk »

What is everyone using these days for a wideband O2 controller. I currently have a LC-1 and I'm unhappy with it. I just got my cam broke in and I'm trying to tune in my idle before heading out for a drive. Now all my wideband O2 sensor reads is 7.4 and the LED wont light up so it's impossible to do a calibration.
Clonebug

Re: Wideband controller

Post by Clonebug »

Everyone has their favorites.

I had a LM-1 that died on me so I found the PLX brand that seemed to be a cleaner install. It had a controller that is separate from the gauge so I could easily hide it under my dash.
I have had it for at least 2 yrs without any problems. It never needs to be calibrated and the Gen 4 version even comes with the Bosch LSU 4.9 sensor.
It also has a multi sensor gauge that will display other controllers that can be daisy chained to one gauge.

Here is a combo set with gauge and Controller.

http://www.plxdevices.com/Wideband-O2-T ... 002719.htm
Stripped66 wrote:The point wasn't to argue air temps with the current world record holder, but to dispel the claim that the K03 is wrapped up at 150 HP. It's not.
ps2375

Post by ps2375 »

http://www.14point7.com/

Take your pick, I've never had problems with the stuff I've gotten from him.
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

ps2375 wrote:http://www.14point7.com/

Take your pick, I've never had problems with the stuff I've gotten from him.
Same here.
The newer units can even read back WB sensor temps, and the higher end setups have all sorts of sensor/logging options.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
GoMopar440

Post by GoMopar440 »

I have the PLX Gen 4 combo kit to read A/F ratio. I don't have any experience with any other brands of A/F systems so I can't really give a comparison. It isn't installed yet either so i can't give first hand feed back yet. PLX does package their parts well and the pieces I received look to be of decent quality, so I have high hopes for it. I also like the fact that any future sensor module additions (up to 16) can all be daisy chained to the same gauge. I just got the O2 bung welded into my header pipe and will finally be able to start installing it soon. The weather even looks like it's finally turning around to where I can work on the rail outside now.
Home made rail (street legal), 1600 DP, 34PICT-3, T3 brakes, 4-1 glass-pack exhaust, 31's in back and 7.00x15's up front. Link to build thread: viewtopic.php?f=28&t=147561&p=1227553#p1227553
clintonddk

Post by clintonddk »

Thanks, I get the general feeling that no one has great success with innervation products. I do have a email into them to see if there able to help but, I do have an eye on the Spartan 2 controller.
Max Welton

Post by Max Welton »

I started with Inovate stuff but switched to AEM several years ago. The in-line controller has worked flawlessly for a lot of all-weather daily-driver miles.

Max
miniman82

Post by miniman82 »

Innovate had all sorts fo problems with that particular unit, my brother went through two of them before giving up in disgust. I use Techedge stuff personally, but I also have one of Alan's early JAW units and it's been flawless since I got it.
clintonddk

Post by clintonddk »

Does anyone offer a DIY kit and has anyone ever had any luck with it?
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

clintonddk wrote:Does anyone offer a DIY kit and has anyone ever had any luck with it?

14point7.com makes a couple "kits", including one version that is fully Open Source, board design to firmware.
His almost top end unit is available in kit form (minus the SDcard support)

I got my JAW 1.03 (that I still use) broken, it was a kit to begin with, and I basically reduced it back to kit form and reassembled it. It has survived much abuse, including losing two alternator voltage regs that full fielded at 75 MPH, blew traces off the board at ~30V, but worked once I fixed the board.
(I upgraded to a 100A GM alternator to eliminate that issue with the junk external regulators)

I also built one of Alans "eval" kits, worked fine.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
woodsbuggy1

Post by woodsbuggy1 »

I have been using the MTXL for over 2 years with zero problems. I will be ordering another one soon for my new build. This is in my offroad car that sees a lot of abuse. The controller is built into the gauge which is very nice when space is a premium. These are available for $155 shipped on ebay.
Kenric
Good quality is getting harder and harder to find.
SC3283

Post by SC3283 »

AEM here...about a year old...been flawless
70, 74 beetle, 81 Chenowth, 66 Fastback, 83GTI, 85GTI, 02 GTI, 72 Std Beetle