Nub Question on VE Analyze

vwi_dduvall

Nub Question on VE Analyze

Post by vwi_dduvall »

How do y'all deal with multiple logs at the end of a days driving?
Example trip to work and trip home.
Do you run the VE Analyze on the first and then again on the second or do you just pick one?
My Records go to 63118 on average.

Thanks,
Daniel Du Vall
http://volkswageninsanity.us
"Cause, remember: no matter where you go... there you are"
Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension
Piledriver

Re: Nub Question on VE Analyze

Post by Piledriver »

Never use MLVs autotune if you have registered TunerStudio.

Live analysis works 100X better if you have the registered version of TS.
The lambda delay table is essential to it working perfectly, but even with the default table it still works far better than the rudimentary setup in MLV.

MLV lacks the delay table...
MLVs autotune will trash a perfect <1% error tune with noise as it only has one delay for all RPMS or loads, and NONE are long enough for many setups.

It can only work OK over a small load/rpm range if you can figure out the proper delay on a scale of 0-9.(not milliseconds, just zero to nine)
It CAN get you in the ballpark if you have not registered TS, but do NOT use it if you have VEAL.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
vwi_dduvall

Post by vwi_dduvall »

I do have full reg of both. I use VEA because i have an un reliable laptop or more just old than unreliable. Keeps going through batteries and right now its needs another. I am considering putting Mint on it but have not the time to do so right now. I love the auto tune ability but need a consistent connection etc. The SD card give great logs so thus have been using VEA
Daniel Du Vall
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

Get yourself a 200 watt inverter and run the laptop from 110 volt power by plugging into the car's accessory or lighter lighter plug.

It's a pain with all the wires laying around but it does work quite well.

I use a 100 watt inverter but it is a little on the small side for my old laptop. If the engine isn't running it won't put out enough power to keep the laptop going or going very long. The batteries in the laptop are pretty well toast.
Stripped66 wrote:The point wasn't to argue air temps with the current world record holder, but to dispel the claim that the K03 is wrapped up at 150 HP. It's not.
vwi_dduvall

Post by vwi_dduvall »

Clonebug wrote:Get yourself a 200 watt inverter and run the laptop from 110 volt power by plugging into the car's accessory or lighter lighter plug.

It's a pain with all the wires laying around but it does work quite well.

I use a 100 watt inverter but it is a little on the small side for my old laptop. If the engine isn't running it won't put out enough power to keep the laptop going or going very long. The batteries in the laptop are pretty well toast.
I have a 250W inverter I use problem is the battery in the laptop seems to go bad every year, of which its bad now. Once that happens the drop in power during start kicks off the laptop I have to start the car befor I can use it.

I am thinking of finding low end netbook or such and putting mint linux on it as long as the Linux version is the same as the windows one. The DELL inspiron 3xxx is just to old and cumbersome.
Daniel Du Vall
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

The Linux version is the same, but I suggest a used thinkpad or other used high quality laptop over a netbook.

You can get machines built like* they cost $2-3K for <$200.

*because that's what they actually cost new.
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
vwi_dduvall

Post by vwi_dduvall »

Piledriver wrote:The Linux version is the same, but I suggest a used thinkpad or other used high quality laptop over a netbook.

Yup I was browsing email today and found a few. Now convince the wife that i need to buy yet another thing to work on this car ;-)
Daniel Du Vall
SC3283

Post by SC3283 »

have a spare 12v battery? stick it in floorboard to run your laptop via the inverter
70, 74 beetle, 81 Chenowth, 66 Fastback, 83GTI, 85GTI, 02 GTI, 72 Std Beetle
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

vwi_dduvall wrote:
Piledriver wrote:The Linux version is the same, but I suggest a used thinkpad or other used high quality laptop over a netbook.

Yup I was browsing email today and found a few. Now convince the wife that i need to buy yet another thing to work on this car ;-)

Just tell her you'd like to buy a laptop that's not a 10 year old bit of junk.
The fact you can use it to work on the car is incidental.

Pretty much anything (that started life as a high grade $$$ machine) made in the last 6 years will be decently fast today, and for the foreseeable future...
... esp running Linux.
I have Win10 on both of mine and they are even fast running that.
(I seem to only ever use win10 to update win10, but it's there so it must be kept updated...)
The parts are cheap easy to get if they need repairs, as millions were sold to businesses.

I suggest a Lenovo T410S, specifically, and not a regular T410 or even T420.
Dig into the specs or reviews, or try one and you'll understand why.

Even after many years its still a very nice machine.
Machines that start out costing $2-300(netbooks especially) are seldom worth using past a year or so, as they literally fall apart from normal use.
High end business class machines weren't made that way, they came with a very long warranty and were built to last.
Sometimes you can score them still under warranty off lease.

Think Mercedes vs Yugo.

Even if you can buy a marginally faster laptop today for the same price as a used T410S its still a ~new Yugo vs a 4 year old S class Mercedes...
One's probably still going to be worth buying a new battery for 5 years from now, and probably still worth ~the same $$ you paid for it.
gtmdriver

Post by gtmdriver »

I'm using an Acer Netnook and it only had a couple of hours battery life so I bought a cheap high capacity battery which gives 7 hours working time.