My 1641 MS2 Turbo EDIS Project Runs. Needs Help.

FlatFourHead

My 1641 MS2 Turbo EDIS Project Runs. Needs Help.

Post by FlatFourHead »

Hello,

I have a 1969 Beetle with a junk motor that I built for it. I care nothing about the longevity of the engine, it consists of three previous engines that I blew up previously and put together to make one. I built this with the sole purpose of cheaply learning how to tune before I build my big expensive motor.

That being said, here are the specifications. Yes, I built it.
ENGINE:
-German EFI Plenum
-CBPerformance injector end castings
-stock crank
-stock rods
-cast 1641 pistons and cylinders (yes, i know, big no-no. I'm broke. Don't care.)
-full flow oiling/remote filter
-Schadeck oil pump
-1.5 quart sump
-Engle 110 cam
-Lightened lifters (the good expensive ones, i forgot which brand)
-CM pushrods
-Stock VW Heads I did a little work to:
(i just removed the casting flash, smoothed all the exhaust ports, removed any ridges in combustion chambers, indexed the spark plugs.)
-High-Rev valve springs

ELECTRONICS
-MS2 Extra
-EDIS
-MTX Wideband
-CB Performance trigger wheel
-Raspberry Pi running TunerStudio in the glovebox (getting to that)

FUEL AND TURBO
-AC DELCO fuel pump
-Parts Store fuel filter
-3/8" stainless feed, stock return
-Bosch boost sensitive Fuel Pressure Regulator
-20 lbs injectors, cleaned, tested, flow-matched
-Deltagate Wastegate
-Toyota Supra BOV (I'm broke.)
-CB Performance hideaway header
-and of course, the dreaded EBay China turbo .42 and .48 (I said I'm broke)

I know the turbo is too big for this engine, it will also go on a big engine that I plan to build later. (Im broke and cant buy two turbos)
I have tuned other vehicles with other software (Fords with SCT when I was in school)
I know all about engine theory I just need help with the Tunerstudio software.
Not "if", but "when" I break this engine I want it to break while having fun with it, not by forgetting to double click something.
I would like to tune it on the 93 octane pump gas I have available, and then once I have become fluent in Tunerstudio and know what I'm doing with the software, I will change fuels and experiment with e85.

So far I loaded whatever tune came with the ecu to get it started for fuel and spark. It idles well at around 41 psi, Ive even parked it uphill into my garage. I paid for the registered version. Do i just redo some of the parameters to account for boost, turn on auto-tune and just drive it?
1969 Beetle IRS that I want to drive on the street and sometimes race (rarely).

Thanks in advance, and I'm obviously going to have many more questions. Getting tired, all for now.

-Bain
Volky

Re: My 1641 MS2 Turbo EDIS Project Runs. Needs Help.

Post by Volky »

Flatfour...

Nice build there.

I run a 1970 Beetle 1776cc engine with MS2, crank trigger, EBC, a cheap eBay turbo t03 .42/.48 with 48lb injectors. I been running it boosted since May 2015 and been tuning since myself. I currently run at 13psi. Also, I went crank trigger direct coil by the MS2.

On your build I see you idle at the 41kpa mark, what's your afr there? Mine idles at 65kpa with an afr of 13.8. Idles great there.

What is going to be your boost limit?

Post a log and msq.
Last edited by Volky on Sun Feb 14, 2016 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1970 VW Beetle with 2109cc turbo with MS-II v3.0, wasted spark, electronic boost controller, dual table, launch control and 3.88 tranny. All done by me...:) t03 running 48lb. Injectors, Intercooler, Water/Meth injection at 15psi.
Clonebug

Re: My 1641 MS2 Turbo EDIS Project Runs. Needs Help.

Post by Clonebug »

There is nothing wrong with your build there.

Just go slow and start out at low boost.

Your injectors are good for about 160 hp at 100% duty cycle max so just be aware.

I have a 1679 with 32# injectors which will support 230 hp at 100% duty cycle. I am moving up to 45# injectors since it is at 94.5% duty cycle.

Monitor your IAT's with a gauge on your TS dash and also check your logs.

My engine likes to idle at 12.8:1 afr at about 60 kpa.

Put a muffler on it to keep it quiet so you can listen for detonation. Back the timing off in the high load, high boost areas and if neccessary build yourself a Water Injection setup to cool your intake temps once you get over 10-12 lbs boost.
Stripped66 wrote:The point wasn't to argue air temps with the current world record holder, but to dispel the claim that the K03 is wrapped up at 150 HP. It's not.