Shadow Dash MS

Max Welton

Shadow Dash MS

Post by Max Welton »

Very cool. Runs on my android tablet over bluetooth. It also logs and includes GPS stuff like speed and altitude. Very Cool!

http://youtu.be/1nmcrYU_K-Q

Max
Clonebug

Re: Shadow Dash MS

Post by Clonebug »

Have You tried the new MSDroid Version 2.2r2???

It just came out and seems to be much improved....I have it downloaded and installed on my tablet but have not tried it yet due to the buggy being in upgrade mode.
Stripped66 wrote:The point wasn't to argue air temps with the current world record holder, but to dispel the claim that the K03 is wrapped up at 150 HP. It's not.
Max Welton

Post by Max Welton »

I installed msdroid but it would not talk the bluetooth device. The Shadow Dashapp just worked right away, no drama. I'm using the RS232 Bluetooth from EFI Analytics.

Max
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

Max Welton wrote:I installed msdroid but it would not talk the bluetooth device. The Shadow Dashapp just worked right away, no drama. I'm using the RS232 Bluetooth from EFI Analytics.

Max
I've used droid for years. With the same Bluetooth. Never had a problem. Shadow dash never appealed it is literally a data logger. The real time aspect is nice. But I want to change stuff while I watch it.
Max Welton

Post by Max Welton »

The one available from Play Store is 2.4r1... Any tips on getting it to use that bluetooth adaptor

Max
Max Welton

Post by Max Welton »

I take it back. Just now went out to the barn to try it again and was able to get it to connect.

So. what do you like about msdroid? I've been using Tuner Studio from the beginning and I'm not looking to switch.

Max
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

Droid is nice for quick changes. Rev limits, shift lights, small stuff I don't want to get the laptop out for. TS and mlv are still the go to for tuning.
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

Chip Birks wrote:Droid is nice for quick changes. Rev limits, shift lights, small stuff I don't want to get the laptop out for. TS and mlv are still the go to for tuning.
I agree with Chip.....I haven't used Droid much but the 1.xr version was not very useful for tuning.

It is nice as an in car dash and for changing things like rev limit and fuel tables by a couple numbers here and there.

I'll be able to test it later.

I have my Wife's old Droid phone sitting around now too and might see if that would work as a dash for long drives where a laptop and notepad would be a pain.
Stripped66 wrote:The point wasn't to argue air temps with the current world record holder, but to dispel the claim that the K03 is wrapped up at 150 HP. It's not.
Max Welton

Post by Max Welton »

I have a 7" LG tablet running android with a dash-mount fit. Works well for a navigation app and now as an engine gauge cluster. If I mount the tablet a little higher it can also be a dash-cam.

I have been struggling with ways to set up a gauge cluster for the KG I have in the works. In-dash? In-console? This really solves all that very nicely! Whatever I can report through the MS I can show on the tablet. No hacking up the dash. And the only wiring to deal with is between the sensors and the MS.

Max
Corysvdub

Post by Corysvdub »

Looks good Max, does that only work on MS3?
Type 3 Subaru powered EJ25
Max Welton

Post by Max Welton »

Thanks. This one is MS2-Extra. Haven't tried it with MS3 yet. But the 2110 has MS3.

Shadow Dash is supposed to work with MS3. Not sure about msdroid.

Max
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

MSDroid works fine with MS1E, 2E or MS3, although I have not had much luck tuning over bluetooth with it or TS.
Its easy to corrupt your firmware or MSQ at least, and stop moving.
Read only (datalogging) is no problem over BT, even if quite slow.

That and potentially stealing share from paid TS is likely why Shadowlogger lacks and is likely to continue lacking tuning capability.

I have class 1 BT radios: 3-400 feet no problem. Dropping packets at 5' happens though.
(The serial side protocols are much more robust now, though, much work done over the last year)

My current Android "tablets" have 3 USB ports, 8GB memory and a 12.1" or 14" screen, and an awesome keyboard...
5 year old Thinkpads can be had cheap, and are close to bulletproof.
Of course they would look ridiculous built into your dashboard.

Even the "normal" tablets I'm looking at have one full size USB port, USB>serial adapter work just fine under Android 4+.

If it has the CPU power and memory, (and root) TunerStudio runs fine under Android with a Linux userspace.
(Debian Kit and similar) and XSDL for a local Xserver app.

I am being strongly tempted by the Microcenter 7" & 8" tablets for $59/$99.
Bluetooth isn't working on those under Linux/Android (yet) but with a std USB port that's not a show stopper for this app.
Of course TS would run fine on them as shipped on Windows 8.1 but (IMHO) it really doesn't work well on smaller screens.
(Windows or Tunerstudio need more real estate to be terribly useful, esp if using a touchscreen)

Bluetooth can work on those using a USB adapter (on a hub, for example), its just the internal wifi/BT/FM radio all in one chip is funky and barely documented.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.