microsquirt

Piledriver

Re: microsquirt

Post by Piledriver »

Note the uS case is fully sealable, but it ships NOT sealed (unless you tell them to, so you can configure jumpers)

Add a little bead of RTV when you are sure you are done inside and Bobs your uncle.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
westypoo

Post by westypoo »

ya next paycheck im planning on getting back into the megasquirt stuff with a microsquirt unit. keep posting up everyone. its nice to see others doing wassers now as well. my plan for it is batch/ alternating fuel, and wasted spark for ignition via thedub shop's crank trigger kit. im gonna ditch the dizzy.
buildabiggerboxer

Post by buildabiggerboxer »

A few pics of how I did the toothed wheel on my 5" dry sump pulley, its tight in there but it's all clearanced and uses the common Ford VR sensor, the teeth were machined to 33* to match the installed angle of the sensor and centred using the pulley boss and matching radius for perfect location, the pulley assembly is moved back towards the engine T1 style, it's not like the longer Wasser hub pulley, VR Bracket adjusts for and aft on the engine, it's at ".020 clearance for now. I did the MS module mounting again, it was too heavy and I moved it off centre and angled it to unload any strain on the connector and help keep any water out, I love lightness, so drilled the mountings to suit.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
luftvagon

Post by luftvagon »

very nice!
1981 Volkswagen Vanagon Westfalia - air-cooled Type4 1970cc CV (hydraulic lifters, 42x36 valves, stock cam, microSquirt FI)
1993 Ford F-250 XL LWB Extended Cab 7.3L IDI
buildabiggerboxer

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Microsquirt-V ... 19f9896b83

Saw this squirt 4 cyl kit Currently on US Ebay, so much cheaper than UK deals.
buildabiggerboxer

Works got in the way a wee bit, But Just the pencil coils, Rev counter and sync hall + feed to connect up To power and it should be ready to roar.. I test fired the logic coils on the bench, to establish the pin outs etc, all good with a big kick,,, I re did most of the connectors, the eBay kit I won was not good enough quality on the pins, nice replacements though, once it's run up and ready to tune, I can finalise wiring and ECU screening and heat management/protection for the loom, there's a bigger picture surrounding the FI side, hopefully for next season, but the Microsquirt looks quite capable of controlling all I need it too, given that I don't need road manners or spectacular fuel mileage as its only ever WOT.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
andy198712

Post by andy198712 »

are you using the dizzy? i cut mine off just above the clamp (before it gets wide) left the shaft i there and you can see it spinning but its flush with the rest so no harm done and no oil leaks.... (save you some weight ;) )
buildabiggerboxer

andy198712 wrote:are you using the dizzy? ) )
Andy, yes sort off, the dizzy uses hall sensor for camshaft position, I will modify the case and use the cam wheel next time the motor is apart.
westypoo

Post by westypoo »

does anyone know if the android app msdroid will work with microsquirt?
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

As long as you load the right MSQ to the app, should be no issue.
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
buildabiggerboxer

Gentlemen, I'm about ready to start the setup over the weekend, it's powered up and no fry ups so far, all the feeds arrive were they should, so a reasonable start thus far, now which cable would you more learned than I suggest I invest in for the microsquirt's jack plug to laptop USB port? Thanks for now, BBB.
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

FTDI chipsets work very well, not sure what brands/models you may have there.(where are you, again?)
The MS3/ms3-pro and module have FTDI chips built in.

I also have a MicroConnectors dual serial unit that has served me well.
(this was handy for perfectly matching WBO2 data to the analog the MS sees)
It was only $20, and still is last I checked at Frys.
buildabiggerboxer

Piledriver wrote:FTDI chipsets work very well, not sure what brands/models you may have there.(where are you, again?)
The MS3/ms3-pro and module have FTDI chips built in.

I also have a MicroConnectors dual serial unit that has served me well.
(this was handy for perfectly matching WBO2 data to the analog the MS sees)
It was only $20, and still is last I checked at Frys.
Thanks for that info pile, great, I'm in London UK, we have a good few electronic outlets local to work so that's handy, or of course eBay if i look for quality, also downloaded and had a look at the droid app, looks very capable at first acquaintance.
The injection aspect of mine will follow on later in the year, it's on the 48's just now, on TPS with respect to a lumpy cam spec, getting interesting now, here's were it is now, not final yet, but the basic layout is done, the screening over the fuse box and MS just clips in or out for any maintenance, nice and easy access to it all, I usually install internal on the fire wall or parcel shelf, but tools, wheels, spares and body's get transported in there often, one time I missed a qualy run with a non start, my mechano had pulled out wiring on the way to the pit garage, I couldn't find it with all the race clobber on, banging about between the RO bars, so engine side it all is, horses for courses rule applies lol. Regards, BBB,
andy198712

Post by andy198712 »

yeah like pile says, i gaffed around with a cable for ages! tried all the drivers ect, literally weeks wasted.

Then i brought a FTDI chipset cable and i plugged in and it instantly linked up, no driver ect, and that was on my mac of all things!

they sell them on ebay uk ;)
buildabiggerboxer

Thanks Andy, this one looks a goer, the microsquirt uses a 2.5mm female Jack receptacle, they supply a cable for Jack to serial, but I would like to go straight into the Jack and eliminate that, but can't find anything that small, most are 3.5. It seems.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FTDI-USB-to-s ... 3aa71588c7