Running lean

westypoo

Running lean

Post by westypoo »

I seem to have an issue with my ms1 3.57 board running lean. No matter what I do to the fuel map, it will just read super lean. It running 17-18 afr. I've took the o2 sensor orthority and made it 0 so it should run off the map only. I've put a smoke machine on it to check for vacuum leaks, with none present, checked fuel pressure and it all seems good, checked to see if the fuel regulater was bad, but nope its good as well. I'm lost of what to do next.

My setup is a waterboxer 2.1 running fuel and spark ms1 3.57. Injectors are 25.1 lbs/hr.
Steve Arndt

Re: Running lean

Post by Steve Arndt »

What wideband are you using?
miniman82

Post by miniman82 »

Have you tried leaning it out? No seriously, too rich and it will misfire but it looks like a lean condition to the O2 sensor.
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

miniman82 wrote:Have you tried leaning it out? No seriously, too rich and it will misfire but it looks like a lean condition to the O2 sensor.

^^^^^
Word.

Once you have control make sure the WBO2 is set to the right type, and perhaps scaled some to be correct.
A fast/cheap way to do this is drive the WBO2 to it's limits and tweaking the upper and lower scale#
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
westypoo

Post by westypoo »

wideband o2 is the AEM one. weird thing is...it ran on this tune, and now its running lean. and yes it acts super lean as well ie. revs very slow, and pops on the upper rpms. i also have tested and verified that the map sensor is working.
jhoefer

Post by jhoefer »

Also check for exhaust leaks. A hole upstream can suck in outside air and read lean. But you should also check a few feet downstream of the sensor too, reversion can pull air backwards.
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

Make certain you are on the current firmware.
Compare fuel PW to MAP in your logs now vs. older logs
Is O2 correction on? Turn it off. Difference?

Cold solder joint or gimpy sensor possible.

Also (just in case you haven't already) save current tune and reload FW and older working tune.

I have had serial comms glitches do weird things.
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

Plugged injector? Calibrated the O2 sensor lately? Are you boosted currently? Have you turned up the values on the VE table just to see if it got better? How bout a plugged fuel filter? You could still have good fuel pressure, even with sucky flow...
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

True, the WB sees the AVERAGE of all 4 cylinders...

Do the plug pull test (ignition or injector) and see if the RPM/AFR change is the same for all 4 holes.
westypoo

Post by westypoo »

I guess I'll have to ask how to recalibrate the o2 sensor. I've swapped out injectors and no change, I've also reloaded firm ware, and also set o2 controller authority to "0". And yes it's boosted right now.
Max Welton

Post by Max Welton »

I would also be interested in that. The Innovate needed a "free air calibration", but the AEM supposedly does not. And there is no function to do so.

Max
westypoo

Post by westypoo »

Ya the aem doesn't need calibrated from what I've read.
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

Have you done a filter yet?
westypoo

Post by westypoo »

I'm not running a fuel filter at the moment actually.
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

Okay, back to the plugged injector theory...
I bet you have a semi dead hole or two. Get the injectors cleaned. I think Eric just went through similar, he soaked the culprit injector in seafoam and it loosened the garbage up and all was good again.