T3 megasquirt II conversion

Max Welton

Re: T3 megasquirt II conversion

Post by Max Welton »

Piledriver wrote:...Consider: ... the mechanical advance moves the whole upper section of the shaft, points cam (or magnets) as well as the rotor. If it was ONLY the rotor advancing, it would be OK, but it isn't.
Willo gets it. In my case there will be no points (or magnets) in the distributor. The trigger-wheel and VR sensor will be supplying the tach and ignition timing reference. So the only thing advancing in the distributor will be the rotor.

Now, I may yet go full-on wasted-spark and no distributor at all. I have mentally committed to having the ECU mods done for me, so I've accepted at least a week of downtime for that. Plus I won't be worried about having some weird problem with the ECU.

So, if I have two coil drivers I could either use one coil (firing through the rotor - distributor) or ... what is a good wasted-spark setup?

Max
Devastator

Post by Devastator »

I was suggesting the dizzy lock as a method to reduce the "jitter" that comes along with a mechanical breaker plate.
You might want to look into the quadspark from DIY and see if would work for you. IIRC, you would only need to add it, instead of multiple coil drivers.
Devastator's Build Thread

Sandrail

2.4 liter, supercharged Chevy Ecotec

"If everything seems under control, you're just not
going fast enough."
Mario Andretti
Max Welton

Post by Max Welton »

Anyway, Mario is going to set me up with an IGN-4 and do the mods to my ECU. Wasted spark, here I come!

Looks like I'll be able to experiment with spark control with this car before I do the MS-3 setup for my KG. 8)

Max
Max Welton

Post by Max Welton »

Well, I popped the MS2 out to send it to Mario. I had the clever idea of setting my MS3 (http://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/mega ... p-435.html) up to work in its place, but the RPMs read all crazy. Probably something not jumpered right for "basic trigger" spark mode.

Probably wind up driving the baja to work tomorrow. It has ... a carburetor. :roll: :D

Max
Max Welton

Post by Max Welton »

Update : The ECU is on the way back from Mario along with an IGN-4 and wires. Meanwhile I installed the MS3 I have on hand for the other Megasquirt project so the squareback is back in service until I'm ready to install the trigger-wheel and the new coil pack.

Max
Max Welton

Post by Max Welton »

8)

Max
andy198712

Post by andy198712 »

sweet! 8)
Max Welton

Post by Max Welton »

I am at this very moment looking at the fan, having removed the exhaust and the tin. I have supersuk's type-3 trigger wheel.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewto ... &start=120

I am using MSExtra which offers the "trigger angle offset" parameter. Does it really matter how I position the missing tooth?

Max
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

Max Welton wrote:I am at this very moment looking at the fan, having removed the exhaust and the tin. I have supersuk's type-3 trigger wheel.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewto ... &start=120

I am using MSExtra which offers the "trigger angle offset" parameter. Does it really matter how I position the missing tooth?

Max
On MS3, the answer is no, it does not really care.
I think that is also true on MS2, but I have no sure way to verify that ATM.

If using TunerStudio, connected to the unit, if it allows you to set something like that, it's OK 99% of the time there are a lot of range limits set in the .ini, but nothing's perfect.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
Max Welton

Post by Max Welton »

Mario agrees, but recommends setting the wheel up at the more conventional 80 degree offset.

You know, it occurs to me that these cars we build are utterly unmaintainable for any regular shop. Each one is unique and one-off.

Max
Devastator

Post by Devastator »

I can post a CAD drawing of my toothed wheel, and pulley orientation, here for you, if you'd like.

Sandrail

going fast enough."
Mario Andretti
Max Welton

Post by Max Welton »

Sure, if you like. The MSExtra site has illustrations as well.

The TW I got from Mike is slotted so I have yet another way to fine-tune it.

Max
Devastator

Post by Devastator »

Ok then.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sandrail

going fast enough."
Mario Andretti
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

Max Welton wrote:Mario agrees, but recommends setting the wheel up at the more conventional 80 degree offset.

You know, it occurs to me that these cars we build are utterly unmaintainable for any regular shop.
Each one is unique and one-off.

Max
(Emphasis mine)
No change then :twisted:
The same has been true since they were new.
The very simple DJet EFI absolutely baffled 98% of even VW-only shops since 1968.

There's actually a better chance of a random shop fixing your MS system as you usually use std off the shelf sensors/pumps/regulators etc, and the diagnostics are fabulous, and the online help is very good..
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
Max Welton

Post by Max Welton »

Hmm. :?

Supersuk's sensor location will not clear the torque tube mount that comes off the top of the shroud. My car is a swing-axle so I do need that.

Max