Megasquirt checkup.

Passatman

Megasquirt checkup.

Post by Passatman »

Has anyone disassemble their engine ( major maintenance ) after running mega squirt to look at wear patterns and carbon buildup, is it similar to patterns made by a carb engine.
SUbuggy

Re: Megasquirt checkup.

Post by SUbuggy »

the question you are asking is not really a MS question. In genreal, what are the differences between a fuel injected motor and a carb motor when torn down?

I used to work for a marine engine builder, who built very expensive turbo engines, all were carbed. my job was to convert some of these engines to EFI. Keep in mind, these engines were almost identical, very slight cam profile change, thats about it. previously they ran distributor with locked advace curve.

after going to EFI and a 3d ignition system, the first and most obvious observation was the EFI motors were simply lasting LONGER. engines that needed a valve job every few races were now lasting an entire season. Fuel consumption was down like 20-30%. We were seeing far fewer cracked pistons/ring issues. Cylinder bores would go 4x further than with carbs. The turbos, now running dry, would spool sooner and last longer with more consistent EGT's.

these are some of the benefits off the top of my head.