MS3v3 System for CNP and EFI/Turbo- "Tuning and Tweaking"

Moderator: Tom Notch

RHough

Re: MS3v3 System for CNP and EFI/Turbo- "Tuning and Tweaking"

Post by RHough » Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:34 pm

Chip Birks wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:45 pm
I have a TB from a Mercury Cougar, probably mid 90s. It had a ford idle valve built onto it. I never got the ford valve to play nicely. I ended up pulling it off and plugging its holes. I welded a couple pipes onto my intake existing intake and run a bosch valve. Works great! Tb is about 50mm. I don't think you'll find many that fit your criteria. I've never seen a bosch valve connected to a tb.
I'd be happy with a TB that has bypass ports I can use the Bosch IAC with. Or a TB with IAC that will run off a Microsquirt. I think the VW EFI TB/Manifold uses a Bosch valve and short hoses, so I'm looking at lots of TB images on the net.

Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks » Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:25 pm

I ran the Mexican stuff earlier. I loved the bosch valve with that setup. I had to tap the ports on my current tb. But they are plugged now. I have pretty long hoses going to the valve.

Piledriver

Post by Piledriver » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:14 am

Most of the Bosch (or more commonly VDO) valves were stand alone and just need a decent sized port on the plenum or such.
As they are wear items, they needed to be ~easily replaceable.

If the one you have is worn out it may be the cause of your problems, they tend to get leaky/sloppy, they constantly vibrate at 99Hz and simply wear out eventually.
A fresh one may work fine for you (will need the min and max DC reset)

Get a 3 wire if you have an MS3X, used IDLE and vvt, works peachy.
The 2 wire can be made to work but IME not quite as well.
I, for one, regularly embrace our new robot overlords, as I am the guy fixing the robots...

RHough

Post by RHough » Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:34 am

Piledriver wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:14 am
Most of the Bosch (or more commonly VDO) valves were stand alone and just need a decent sized port on the plenum or such.
As they are wear items, they needed to be ~easily replaceable.

If the one you have is worn out it may be the cause of your problems, they tend to get leaky/sloppy, they constantly vibrate at 99Hz and simply wear out eventually.
A fresh one may work fine for you (will need the min and max DC reset)

Get a 3 wire if you have an MS3X, used IDLE and vvt, works peachy.
The 2 wire can be made to work but IME not quite as well.
No plenum ... When I created a manifold to use the IAC with the individual runner system the idle was too high reducing the volume of the IAC manifold and playing with fitting size, hose size, and hose length got me a compromise that sort of works. Cold fast idle is limited by the restricted IAC manifold and hot idle has the IAC at 30-32% with the throttle plates almost fully closed. I use timing to set idle RPM. I have a low advance 'return to idle please' track in my spark map to tame the dashpot function and get the engine to return to idle.

I suspect that a plenum under a single TB would be easier to deal with. Not to mention making room for an AC compressor and simplifying cruise control installation.

IAC has under 200 hours on the engine, was new.

If the Mexico EFI bits would flow as well as a pair of IDF44's I'd go that route. I suspect they don't.