FI Fuel return location?

carl4x4

FI Fuel return location?

Post by carl4x4 »

I'm setting up a FI system on my Ghia, the bottom of the fuel tank area is a little restricted as I have a Red9 suspension setup underneath it which runs close to the stock fuel outlet. I'm looking at welding on two new outlets (AN-8 for out, AN-6 for return) The question is, can I put these relatively close together, (ie; within say 3 to 4" of each other) or will the turbulence from the return cause issues with the fuel going out the outlet?

Thanks
Piledriver

Re: FI Fuel return location?

Post by Piledriver »

Don't worry about it.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
carl4x4

Post by carl4x4 »

Thanks just checking, sometimes I think I worry too much about all this stuff!
kangaboy

Post by kangaboy »

If I'm going to be pulling my tank out for some work, is it beneficial to tap it and put a return line in? I feel it should be relatively easy, but wanted to know if there were any tricks or rules that had to be followed when adding a return line for fuel injection. I already bought a Tee for my fuel like return, but if it was added value to put an actual return into the tank, I would like the go that route.
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

Welding on gas tanks requires extensive preparation so it doesn't blow up.

Not trying to put you off doing it, but perhaps an easier/cheaper route would be buy a new factory FI gas tank that already has two ports, and is nice and clean and rust free. It will also likely have a "fuel sump" anti slosh cup built into it.

Another method that works is make an "in tank" pump setup that hangs off the fuel level setup like modern cars have, with the high pressure fuel line coming out the top, and use the original fuel port for return.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.