Warning to UNI-filter users

Piledriver

Warning to UNI-filter users

Post by Piledriver »

Needed to clean my UNI-filter, picked up some "mean green" drgreaser, from the ingredients and looks , looks like simple green...

Mixed up with some warm water and left to soak as I had some heavy oil goo in places...

My uni filter fully disintegrated in it in a matter of minutes . Bucket of foam slurry and a clean rubber ring is all that's left.

Picked up and AEM dry synthetic filter which is probably an upgrade, but still very annoying.

Dawn dish detergent and water from now on.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
raygreenwood

Re: Warning to UNI-filter users

Post by raygreenwood »

Pile....you know I deal with chemicals. I keep warning people about "green" listed, non-VOC advertising cleaners and parts solvents.

They can work very well.... and some people get the idea that they are not dangerous. Some have health effects worse than VOC based chemistry.

Also many of the non-voc cleaners are made from some fairly sophisticated "surfactants".....that can dissolve plastic, adhesives, break many types or molecular bonds. The PH issues they have....can also eat some metals......and people for sure. Also....many of them are designed to be rinsed away with water after use.
If you are working with bearings and transmission parts....thats not an option.....but you cannot leave some of these products on the parts....because they can destroy or alter lubricating properties of the oil or grease later. Ray
Piledriver

Re: Warning to UNI-filter users

Post by Piledriver »

Actually you can rinse almost anything like that with water if you dry it quickly/thoroughly enough and get some oil on it ASAP.

I use simple green in an ultrasonic cleaner all the time at work on very critical parts with no issues.
(cannot leave them to soak, seems obvious)
They get quickly cleaned, rinsed with DIW, blow dry, IPA rinse, blow dry again (both with 5/9s N2) and jammed in an N2 purged oven just to be sure they are dry, NOW.

Rust on bearing races and 60-80K RPM would not end well, even with ceramic hybrids.
(turbopumps, new "hobby" seem to be having good luck so far for <10% of the cost of sending them out for rebuild, easy once you make some trivial tooling to take them apart/reassemble)

Good to know on the issues, I have used Simple Green with no problems but this "Mean Green" stuff was essentially instant death for that foam filter.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.