Custom Intake Manifolds on Type 3

squeakie

Custom Intake Manifolds on Type 3

Post by squeakie »

In the attached video, I am showing my recently finished intake manifolds for my type 3. This was my first aluminum TIG welding project and it shows, but I am proud of it. :D I think I have mounted these manifolds for the last time. Well, for the second to last (penultimate?). They won't allow the engine to be installed as-is and fitting airfilters is going to be tricky also.

http://youtu.be/z45wyU6g6MU

Criticism and comments of any sort are welcome.

Oh yeah! I just remembered, does my distributor look to be in the right orientation - at least somewhat close to what megasquirt wants? I am roughly at top dead center. I am not even sure if you can really tell from the video.

Thanks!
Jprather

Re: Custom Intake Manifolds on Type 3

Post by Jprather »

I like the background music. Nice touch.

Why did you make your manifolds?
squeakie

Post by squeakie »

Jprather wrote:I like the background music. Nice touch.

Why did you make your manifolds?
I uploaded the video and all I could hear was my own breathing and then when I moved, all I could hear was my joints popping and creaking. haha. I just used some of the 'stock' music youtube offers. :)

That is an excellent question! I made my manifolds because of having a type 3 squareback - everything has to be short. The spread between the bores of the throttle bodies (Honda CBR1000) is considerably larger than the cylinder head. After looking and studying and thinking and drawing in solidworks (several iterations) for at least a year, I finally settled on what you see as possibly the easiest for me to make. I am also quite cheap. Trying to order the little rubber boot clamp / adapters from a couple different motorcycle supply shops proved unsuccessful. I guess that turned out for the best since I really like the way this works. Even though, I still might change the design slightly when I do the second pair (nicer looking, better welds, etc). I am thinking about bringing throttle bodies inboard and laying horizontal over the jugs, because I just don't see air filters fitting. I really need to get it in the car and see how much room I really have.

I really like making things. I have been told many times by many people much smarter than I, "it is cheaper to just buy it". This may be true, but you can't buy satisfaction. Wait, maybe you can... :lol:
Jprather

Post by Jprather »

I was at a Microsoft store recently and they had a 3D printer working. Pretty interesting technology for prototyping. I am blow away with all the amazing products available. Good luck with the research.