Side draft as throttle body...

Chip Birks

Side draft as throttle body...

Post by Chip Birks »

Alright guys, stepping into new territory for me. I have done efi the right way, now i need to do it the fast way. Trying to get a draw through car back on the road in the next 2 weeks, fuel injected with minimal fab work. Ms3/3x is wired. Just need to build the harness in the engine compartment. The main question i have is regarding the mods needed to convert my sidedraft dell into a throttle body. Tps is on the to do list but may not happen right away. Has anyone converted a dhla into a draw through tb? Wanna share what needed to be done? Thanks guys!
Clonebug

Re: Side draft as throttle body...

Post by Clonebug »

why not a cheap junk yard TB from a Volvo or something???

Can't get much easier than a piece of silicone hose and some clamps.
Stripped66 wrote:The point wasn't to argue air temps with the current world record holder, but to dispel the claim that the K03 is wrapped up at 150 HP. It's not.
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

Honestly i already have the same tb as my 60 has for it. Maybe some day we'll go the blow through route. But for now, everything is already fabbed for the draw through setup including linkage. I won't budge on this one. I have zero time for cutting and welding, i have a total rewire on my own car to get finished up in the next 2 weeks as well. Time is of the essence. I have all the parts to do this including a sacrificial 40 dell. I had the same thought initially though.
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

I have yet to do it myself, but have studied what has been done as I'm looking at using IDFs as ITBs.

AFAIK you only need to plug the mains and idle fuel jets, to prevent the internal vacuum leak..
You might try it without plugging the jets as jets and carbs are expensive, the extra air bight help, but plugging the jets is usually mentioned as something that needs to be done eventually. Also don't forget to cap the fuel inlet.

You could probably cap the mains with some thin fuel safe rubber bits and seat them.
You may get away with cramming some rubber rod or lead into them as are used elsewhere as plugs.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

The carb i'll be using has been on the chopping block to be sold for parts for over a decade. Might as well repurpose it. I need to get the carb in hand to see what is actually below the throttle plate and can really have any effect on plate metered airflow. Draw through definitely simplifies things a bit here, since it won't ever be pressurized.
66brm

Post by 66brm »

Chip, keep it simple, if the carb is never to be used as a carb again get rid of the venturies, JB weld any ports down stream of the throttle plates, you just want the air tap function of the carb body itself correct?
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

Thats pretty much my thought.
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

Can't you use that TB in a draw through position???

I doubt it would care.
Stripped66 wrote:The point wasn't to argue air temps with the current world record holder, but to dispel the claim that the K03 is wrapped up at 150 HP. It's not.
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

Yes, then i have to fab manifold or aircleaner connection, as well as linkage connection and other stuff. Lots of work i don't have time to tackle in the next 2 weeks. Trying to get 2 cars prepped for the race track, and niether of them are running right now. Lots to get done.
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

I actually found the dellorto one a few days ago. i thought that was pretty cool. I don't think the aircooled.net one fits the bill though. Besides, i'm way too cheap to spend that kind of cash on a tps. I'll fab something up for that later. Its not needed to get us rolling. Thanks for the info though!
Devastator

Post by Devastator »

I'm running draw thru with a horizontal TB, but it's not a Dell. I removed the Dell in order to install EFI.
Devastator's Build Thread

Sandrail

2.4 liter, supercharged Chevy Ecotec

"If everything seems under control, you're just not
going fast enough."
Mario Andretti