Injectors needed for type 4 OE manifold

mlauzon

Injectors needed for type 4 OE manifold

Post by mlauzon »

Hi,
I need some help locating fuel injectors to fit on OE type 4 manifold. I need the injector to have the larger distance “A” for good seating in manifold, but, with “O” ring fuel input to fit in an Audi fuel rail that I am modifying, and not barbed hose end like yellow stock injector. The injectors also need ridges for the securing clips. They need to be 30 lbs per hours, high impedance, and a nice spray pattern too. All the newer design injectors seem to have the shorted "B" distance that does not allow for good squish of the "O" ring see photo. I could modify the retaining clamp of even make a bracket at the fuel rail to tighten things up but this would also result in the injector not seating deep enough in the manifold. My engine is of 2270 cc displacement and should develop about 150 HP if I did things right. It runs ok with carbs at the moment, but, I want to see this megasquirt project through.

I have contacted some fuel injector vendors, and they recommend Bosch 0280150810 and 0280150218 using large end cap which does not address my "O" ring squish issue.

Any help of this appreciated. Maybe there is something basic that I don't understand ?

Thanks,

Michel L
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by mlauzon on Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Michel Lauzon
Working on a Type 4 Megasquirt Project
supaninja

Re: Injectors needed for type 4 OE manifold

Post by supaninja »

you can get your endcasts machined for regular orings then the sky is the limit for your inj options
'65 notch w/ a squirted type 4
http://supaninjanick.wordpress.com/
'68 "Zombie Response Vehicle" Westy
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=140387
mlauzon

Post by mlauzon »

I thought of that. If I overbore a 14mm hole at existing 9.5 mm hole there will not be much cast material left around it. I could add some, but, everything get so much more complicated.
Michel Lauzon
supaninja

Post by supaninja »

Keep It Simple ;)

http://rossmachineracing.com/injectorbungs.html

Those bungs, a drill press, careful measurements, and some JB Weld would do the trick, or you could have a machine shop do the machining so those bungs are a press fit.
'65 notch w/ a squirted type 4
http://supaninjanick.wordpress.com/
'68 "Zombie Response Vehicle" Westy
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=140387
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

The green CIS injector fat orings at the manifold end is what you seek...
About $3 at any decent Foreign auto parts store, or online.

I'm running Yamaha R1 injectors in the stock manifold, with the original Yamaha fuel rails/hold down cut in half with some TIG work for fittings. (SS rails)

There's a few pics posted, somewhere, perhaps in the T3 forum. (T4 in a squareback)
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
mlauzon

Post by mlauzon »

the green CIS injector fat orings at the manifold end is what you seek

I know what those are. I installed those new on a 911 CIS engine a while back. They are larger may allow a good "squish" with the modern injector (shorter) design. I will look int that. I may even have some left.

I have some 4 hole pintle injectors. Wonder if these would work as well of better than the single pintle type.

thank you
Michel Lauzon
mlauzon

Post by mlauzon »

I found some of those magic O rings, not green but same in black. I cut back the pintle cap lip and used the O ring. Everything fell into place with nice squish once the injector was secured with stock bracket and the mid body seal.
The injectors are Bosch 0280150431, 30 lb, but have 4 hole pintle opening. I have been reading that these injector work well and that the multi hole pintle atomizes fuel better...maybe, anyway I have them. I think I will send them in for reconditioning though.

Thanks again to Piledriver for the key I was looking for :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Michel Lauzon
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

Cool ;-)

Ray Greenwood originally suggested those as a "better than stock" replacement for the lame stock squarish injector seals. They have proven to have many uses.

Get the green Bosch ones if you can-- they hold up much better over time.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
Rikard

Post by Rikard »

Nice fuel rails, is that Audi V6? Do you know the audi part number or model year?

Rikard
1977 Bus, 2.0L Type 4 engine, webcam 107i
MS2 Extra, direct fire EDIS Coil