AN fitting questions for Aeromotive ...Hotrodvw? or others?

panel

AN fitting questions for Aeromotive ...Hotrodvw? or others?

Post by panel »

What's the difference in 'Flare union' (AN815) and a 'Union reducer' (AN919)?

Also other than the 37 degree male end, what's the difference between a 'Flare plug (AN806) and the 'O-Ring boss plug' (AN814) ?

Reason I ask is I just purchased an Aeromotive EFI FPR and wanted to change the fittings around on it.

http://aeromotiveinc.com/products-page/ ... regulator/

'65 Bus with a JDM Subaru EJ20 Turbo
Built by Germans powered by Japanese and brought together by Canadians
Ol'fogasaurus

Re: AN fitting questions for Aeromotive ...Hotrodvw? or othe

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

http://www.diamondfasteners.com/an815-1 ... -fittings/

http://www.diamondfasteners.com/an919-0 ... -fittings/

You probably already have this but just in case. This stuff used to be so secret…

Lee
Steve Arndt

Post by Steve Arndt »

ORB o ring boss fittings are a hassle. I prefere NPT.
Hotrodvw

Post by Hotrodvw »

Panel.......

The AN919 is a tube union reducer....A drop/jump in size on one end in reference to the other. When you see the term "Tube" in terms of fittings, you have to remember these fittings were designed for tubing applications. As time passed along, they made hose fittings to simulate the flared tube end. The AN815 is just a simple tube union.....no reduction in size. The ports on the Aeromotive regulators have an "O-ring Boss port". ORB is the same size and thread pitch as AN. The difference is one seals on an O-ring, one seals on a flare. You can put an oring on your AN fitting and install it in your regulator, it will seat and seal like an ORB fitting, so long as the flare doesn't bottom out on something internal first. I have cut the flares off to make what I need before. Hope this sheds some light on what you need. Feel free to ask if you get stumped again. :D

Eric
Eric
Hotrodvw

Post by Hotrodvw »

Steve Arndt wrote:ORB o ring boss fittings are a hassle. I prefere NPT.

How do you figure? If an NPT port is used multiple times, the threads are crushed and stretched thus making it difficult to get a good seal. If an ORB port leaks, simply replace the o-ring!
Eric
69vw1915

Post by 69vw1915 »

ORB fittings REQUIRE an O-ring fitting to seal...a flare fitting should never be threaded into that ORB port!

An O-ring fitting of the correct dash # threads into the regulator. The opposite end of that fitting should have a male flare...which threads onto a swivel fitting on a hose.

With respect to a previous poster, pipe fittings would be a giant step backwards.

In the world of O-ring and tube fittings, the dash @(-6, -8, -10, -12, and so on) is the key.

BTW, the dash numbers come from the tube diameters for a compatible flare fitting and swivel. A -12 for example would be used with a 3/4" diameter tube.
Hotrodvw

Post by Hotrodvw »

69vw1915 wrote:ORB fittings REQUIRE an O-ring fitting to seal...a flare fitting should never be threaded into that ORB port!

You missed what I was saying. I was simply addign that ORB and AN threads of the same size, are the same size and thread pitch. If you get in a pinch, you can put an o-ring on the AN side (Providing the other end of the fitting is what you need), and it will seat and seal the same as an ORB part........but you have to have clearance for the flare.
Eric
panel

Post by panel »

Eric and others like always very good help here. My local pipe/tube/hose/hydraulic shop had it all :shock: Little bit of nice AN an a little steel.
Steve Arndt

Post by Steve Arndt »

In Boise you can't buy ORB fittings or even the o-rings at the race plumbing shops. Only standard AN. That is why I don't like the fittings. If ordering online, no problem.
Volky

Post by Volky »

Good day,

I bought the same FPR on Ebay. When it got here I went to buy ORB's locally and nobody had them. I bought them online, now that I have these ORB fittings, I prefer them over NPT but too late to change since I have dozens all over the car.

Anyway, NPT's seal well with the sealant I use.
1970 VW Beetle with 2109cc turbo with MS-II v3.0, wasted spark, electronic boost controller, dual table, launch control and 3.88 tranny. All done by me...:) t03 running 48lb. Injectors, Intercooler, Water/Meth injection at 15psi.
panel

Post by panel »

Got it all plumbed.

Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Very clean looking; you did a good job. :wink:

Lee
Hotrodvw