Re: Yet another type 4

Post by Munchhausen »

Good Luck! :D
SPG guy

Post by SPG guy »

Hi guys
Still not running.
Changed the crank wheel over to a 4 tooth as the 36-1 gave some very weird readings with the hall sensor and i added a cam home in the form of an elec ignition conversion with only one magnet.
First up had great signal and no missed teeth but couldnt get it to fire. Now i am getting it to fire for a second or 2 but have lots of missed teeth and no real progress.
I assume there is something wrong with my trigger angle and home but have confirmed i get consistant injector and ignition firing while cranking.
I forgot to mention Supaninja hooked me up with the OEM head temp values which have worked great.
Hope one day I can get this thing running as it's really startig to do my head in. Troubleshooting with a timing light in a 914 is more painful than i imagined, may still pull the engine and run on the floor.
Cheers
Edwin
SPG guy

Post by SPG guy »

Well it's finaly running!
Had no idea it was a job that would have so many dramas but all good now I have had some seat time on it.
Ended up buying a modified distributor for a cam sensor. Has two tracks and gives 4+1 for sequential.
Started straight up and with a few tweaks was able to drive round the block.
Have nearly 1000km's on it now.
Few things still to sort out.
External map sensor shows 3.7kpa at ambient and wot (sea level). Will check what the internal map shows.
Throttle bodies are a bit big for the 1.8 displacement but will add a different bellcrank to give a better pedal throttle ratio and eventualy build a bigger engine to compensate.
The torque is great and has a fantastic growl which is quite useful for giving passing v8's a fright.
Will have to get some pics of the engine bay now that the wiring is cleaned up.
Cheers for the help
Edwin
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.