Mass Air Flow

Steve Arndt

Re: Mass Air Flow

Post by Steve Arndt »

Half the fun would be to build your own circuit to drive/condition the maf output and make it usable. A fun AVR project/C project.

It isn't a big deal to go from frequency to an analog out w/ a micro controller.
paul_f

Post by paul_f »

The problem is the analog MAFs give a somewhat averaged signal, the new digital ones require the ECM to sample all the pulses get the average (or in fact, use a micro that has a pulse counter, then you just sample the number of pulses and the time between samples to get the average)
Steve Arndt

Post by Steve Arndt »

I am talking about hot film 2006 jetta MAFs.
Munchhausen

Post by Munchhausen »

What are the advantages of these MAFs?
The older ones from the nineties have an analog output.
Jadewombat

Post by Jadewombat »

Great topic here, I pulled a MAF off a '88 Volvo 240GL for use on my bus super-1600 engine as soon as it comes home from the paint shop. The sensor is probably a little bit big, but hopefully will work. If not I'll go spend another $10-15 getting a smaller one.
vwchuck

Post by vwchuck »

Actually the mass flow meter is the way to go. I am not sure why everyone is so fascinated by speed density. It is not at accurate as a massflow system. It is also far easier to calibrate since it is just a target AFR and the system applies the correct amount of fuel. No driving and letting it tune itself.
Also the Ford MAF can flow alot more then what engine they are on. The Ford stuff has a clip at like 3.5 or 3 volts so you still have the remaining voltage up to 5 volts to use in an MS system.
I am guessing you can use a Ford ECU but you would need to watch what you are doing and you would probably need to run it richer then what the Ford calibration already has in the ECU. Also the only ECU that Ford has that can run a turbo is from the 2.3 turbo from the 80's. THe bad news is that this system does not use MAF.
You might be able to go to a GM ecu from a turbo ecotec but I don't know much about them.
They are all alot of work to get working in the end but if you choose a path and get to far down it it is hard to turn around and choose another path especially when you are fund limited.
ziggy55

Post by ziggy55 »

Actually you can convert a ford 2.3 turbo ecu to MAF. It is done an there are also piggyback modules for the ford 2.3 turbo ecu which allows you to setup you own parameters.