EDIS check list

andy198712

Re: EDIS check list

Post by andy198712 »

i should add.... i'm not very good at this stuff, just getting my head around it... to keep it simple (i dont mind slow) i'll stick with osx for now....

and sorry you lost me, building it my self?

so which pieces of software are needed for all the above?

sorry to be a drag... we all learn one way :oops:
supaninja

Re: EDIS check list

Post by supaninja »

Piledriver wrote:you don't, old version.
A new binary release is '"coming soon", but for now, build it yourself is the only way to get a current version.

On a Ubuntu/Debian based system:
apt-get install git
(this installs "git", a very powerful software version control system)

On Mandriva:
urpmi git

"git pull" pull the current git tree, make distclean just in case and run ./autogen.sh.

On OSX... it WILL build/run on OSX, but installing xcode and all the dependencies might take ... awhile..
Might be much easier/faster to install Ubuntu or Mandriva though and get it up to date.
(And yes, you can do that, Linux supported EFI boot before OSX existed)

Theres a good thread on building it on OSX//Ubuntu in the megatunix subforum of msextra, you'll need to also install the required dev packages to build it.

It sounds harder than it actually is, the package management//dependency resolution systems on modern Linux systems work very easy//well.
Once you have it working correctly, updating and rebuilding is a ~2 minute automatic process, depending on your machine speed.

Full disclosure:
I much prefer Mandriva now, but ran Slackware, Redhat, then Debian for many years, I'm one of those guys who was very happy when the first Slackware CD shipped... I ran Linux on my Amiga 3000 along with NetBSD1.0 from 1993 to ~1997...
Pile- if you were typing chinese I probably would have understood more. I am a hardware nerd, too much of a simpleton for all that software lingo.
'65 notch w/ a squirted type 4
http://supaninjanick.wordpress.com/
'68 "Zombie Response Vehicle" Westy
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=140387