CB Performance Quick Tune EFI System

HID GUY

Re: CB Performance Quick Tune EFI System

Post by HID GUY »

Post up some pics of your install would like to see everyone's set up
volkaholic1

Post by volkaholic1 »

I'm honestly dissappointed in the CB set up. I have been troubleshooting it for 2 years and 6000 miles. I think I have some sort of interference issue. Sporatically the engine will cut out, just for a moment, then comes back. Very difficult to track down. Is it ignition or FI or both? Plugs look OK. I thought it might be related to the high energy MSD dis & ignition causing cross talk or other electrical problems. I finally pulled all that off and went with a 009 & blue coil, running OEM VW wires. Problem still exists, so it must be a FI problem. I have given up for the winter, we will try again next spring. So much for FI being easy and quick. I am about ready to pull it all and go back with dual 40 webers. I never had this kind of hassle with carbs. I just want the darn thing to run. Oh, and my mpg is still only about 20, so why did I both spending $3K on FI?

link to pics, as requested, see btm of this page
http://www.awesomepowdercoat.com/clarks_bug.html
HID GUY

Post by HID GUY »

Anybody else? let's see your install and how it's running.I'm thinking of buying this kit or going with IDAs?? The CB kit just seems so easy and trouble free. I have read about some of the problems CB was having but haven't they worked those out?
Orb666

Post by Orb666 »

volkaholic1 wrote:I'm honestly dissappointed in the CB set up. I have been troubleshooting it for 2 years and 6000 miles. I think I have some sort of interference issue. Sporatically the engine will cut out, just for a moment, then comes back. Very difficult to track down. Is it ignition or FI or both? Plugs look OK. I thought it might be related to the high energy MSD dis & ignition causing cross talk or other electrical problems. I finally pulled all that off and went with a 009 & blue coil, running OEM VW wires. Problem still exists, so it must be a FI problem. I have given up for the winter, we will try again next spring. So much for FI being easy and quick. I am about ready to pull it all and go back with dual 40 webers. I never had this kind of hassle with carbs. I just want the darn thing to run. Oh, and my mpg is still only about 20, so why did I both spending $3K on FI?

link to pics, as requested, see btm of this page
http://www.awesomepowdercoat.com/clarks_bug.html

Your blue coil may be the problem, I'm looking at the latest instructions and it specifically states that the system is not compatible with the Bosch coil, so it might be worth trying a flame thrower (I only say that as mines running fine with one)

I bought the latest self tuning set up for my 2332, it was easy to fit and the kit is very complete.

We had some issues with the MSD 6AL, it just wouldn't start, took it off and just used the coil (I'm running a petronix billet dizzy) and it started first turn of the key.

I'm still running the engine in and have only done 200 miles so it's a little early for a full report but so far I'm very happy. It starts from cold instantly (a little too quick for my liking, I'd rather build a bit of oil pressure on the starter first so I may fit a cutoff), you still have to "tickle" it a bit when cold but that's not much of a concern but once she's cruising it just purrs along.

I spent so much time and money getting carbs set up on the dyno (with mixed results) and just got bored with cleaning out the idle jets/circuit (turned out to be a de-laminating but new fuel hose!). The efi should be a bit more hassle free and should give better mpg but I can already feel the difference lower in the rev range, it just pulls cleaner and smoother.

Once I've put a few more miles on it and had a chance to run it down the strip or get a power pull I'll report back. I'll be interested to see what the power difference will be as I moved up to 48mm TB'S from 44mm carbs but I have had it built with a lower compression ration and a less bumpy cam (for increased torque as it's in a bus) - it used to make 185bhp but only 131lb/ft (that's a webcam 86c for you) has an FK8 in it now.

Hope that helps

Orb
84 IM Flier

Post by 84 IM Flier »

Orb, I also have a newly installed CB fuel injection kit my car (Intermeccancia 356 replica). 2276cc, smaller ported heads, 9:1 compression, FK8 cam.
So far, I have mixed feeling about the kit.
Initial impressions:
1. Mine has the injectors/rails on the inside, and when installed there was no room to attach the injector plug/wire. I had to have the shroud modified so the injector plugs would clear everything.
2. I'm very disappointed it doesn't have something for cold starting/cold idling. Maybe not a problem in California, but it certain is up here in British Columbia.
3. Seems to be very thirsty. Hopefully, this will change has the computer goes through its learning cycle.
4. When idling, if I give the throttle a good whack the engine bogs momentarily.
5. Other than the off-idle problem, throttle response is very good.
6. I can take the car down to 2200 rpm, in 4th gear, floor the throttle, and the engine pulls cleanly-no hesitation.
Like yours, my engine only has a couple of hundred miles on it, so it has been a learning curve for me. When the weather warms up I plan on taking mine to a dyno for some fine tuning.
Ron

miniman82

Post by miniman82 »

To cure the tip-in issue, the computer will not figure that out on it's own. You need to tell it what to do with the accel enrichments manually, which involves getting in the 'back door' of the tuning program to fix. Wirenuts knows how to do it, I have forgotten. I'll try to remember to send him a message, so I can post it here.
Orb666

Post by Orb666 »

[quote="84 IM Flier"]Orb, I also have a newly installed CB fuel injection kit my car (Intermeccancia 356 replica). 2276cc, smaller ported heads, 9:1 compression, FK8 cam. Nice 356, bet it flys with that motor
So far, I have mixed feeling about the kit.
Initial impressions:
1. Mine has the injectors/rails on the inside, and when installed there was no room to attach the injector plug/wire. I had to have the shroud modified so the injector plugs would clear everything. That sucks, why would they put them on the inside - makes no sense at all - as you'll see from the pics mine are on the outside now. I say now as originally they sent me manifolds with the injectors built in (the preferred option really) but the ones they sent were wrong as they don't make a wedgeport manifold that fits a bus - even though the full spec was supplied at time of ordering- so I had to send them back, at my cost to the US!. I'd also sold my carbs so I had to get my old manifolds back from the buyer and send him a new pair (which worked out OK as he wasn't running wedgeports!) but again more expense and hassle. I was also a little dissapointed at the castings, lots of rough edges - took my head guy a long time to match port everythig up nicely - also a bit weird that the TBS are 48mm but the base plates are 46mm and the ram pipes were different again!
2. I'm very disappointed it doesn't have something for cold starting/cold idling. Maybe not a problem in California, but it certain is up here in British Columbia. The cold start map is supposed to be exactly that although I've found you do still have to "tickle" it to get it firing on all 4 like you would carbs with no choke - doesn't seem to take long to get it running OK though, as soon as you're on the power or cruising it settles down nicely. We may not be quite as cold as you guys but we have been at or below freezing for over a month now so it's not too bad and should get better (I did richen the cold start up a little with the software which seemed to help)
3. Seems to be very thirsty. Hopefully, this will change has the computer goes through its learning cycle. The opposite for me, seems much better than the 44 webers I had before - did 100 miles yesterday and used much less fuel than usual but then I was cruising a fair bit slower than normal due to running the motor in
4. When idling, if I give the throttle a good whack the engine bogs momentarily. Yep, mine does that too and it bugs the poop out of me - please let me know if you find a fix
5. Other than the off-idle problem, throttle response is very good. I agree, It's a bit of a pain just off idle but pulls smooth and hard once you have your foot in it, again I'm hoping with a few more miles that will improve
6. I can take the car down to 2200 rpm, in 4th gear, floor the throttle, and the engine pulls cleanly-no hesitation.
Like yours, my engine only has a couple of hundred miles on it, so it has been a learning curve for me. When the weather warms up I plan on taking mine to a dyno for some fine tuning. I think a dyno session will help iron the rough bits out providing you can find someone who knows their injection. Once I have a few more miles on it I will also see if I can get Pat online to check over the settings and advise of any adjustments needed. Now I wish they'd produce either a cable or a wireless transmitor (like the ones that PLX Devices use for OBDII ports on modern cars) so that you can run the software on and iPad/iPhone - I'd love to be able to monitor it all on the move via something managable like that rather than having a bloody great big laptop rollig around on the front seat! - I have sent a couple of mails to see if they have any plans for that but have not received a reply!
So like you I have some slight reservations but I'm hoping it'll get better with miles/tuning

Ron

Cheers

Orb
Last edited by Orb666 on Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
66brm

Post by 66brm »

The reason for mounting the injectors inboard of the manifolds is usually for clearance issues within vehicle engine bays such as the T1.
Orb666

Post by Orb666 »

66brm wrote:The reason for mounting the injectors inboard of the manifolds is usually for clearance issues within vehicle engine bays such as the T1.

Ahhhh, now it makes sense. I'm just surprised they didn't stock a manifold with injectors built in for the 356, thought it was only buses they had an issue with.

Orb
Bus Boy Jim

Post by Bus Boy Jim »

Is this CB kit any good as I've now been offered two used complete systems for cheap money
One previous owner has reverted back to carbs and the other changed for a different injection system :?
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

Bus Boy Jim wrote:Is this CB kit any good as I've now been offered two used complete systems for cheap money
One previous owner has reverted back to carbs and the other changed for a different injection system :?
I have no input to add that really matters as I've never used this system, but the fact that you have two friends that have both gotten rid of it doesn't say much about it to me...
bugninva

Post by bugninva »

It just means it's not for everyone... you can pick up used MegaSquirt systems cheap all the time... but that doesn't mean MegaSquirt isn't any good... :wink:
miniman82

Post by miniman82 »

Thank you for your insight, Dr Ambiguity. :roll:
bugninva

Post by bugninva »

miniman82 wrote:Thank you for your insight, Dr Ambiguity. :roll:

it's *always* better to attack someone for a statement rather than offer up your own.... :wink:

besides, it was more of a "captain obvious" statement than an ambiguous one... 8)
miniman82

Post by miniman82 »

My thoughts on this are already well known, to restate them means I'm just talking to myself. Wait, who said that? :shock: