CB Performance Quick Tune EFI System

Compositecrafters

Re: CB Performance Quick Tune EFI System

Post by Compositecrafters »

So do you feel you made the right decision on getting rid of the EFI.
volkaholic1

Post by volkaholic1 »

yes, 40 dual webers have been fine
sandhopper

Post by sandhopper »

I know this is an old thread , but I just picked up a used CB QT system with some turbo stuff .
I have a 1914 Turbo engine blow thur with dellortos and Looking to add the EFI to it . I know I will need some more parts to do this right that is the reason for my post . I think I would like to remove the 09 dizzy and blue coil what parts are needed to do that ? This engine will go in a Dragster with PG for 1/8 mile runs
I may just start with what I have and change to EFI or add the efi and dyno tune it ?
Any ideas or info will help , as I'm old and need to do this soon
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

sandhopper wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 2:53 pm I know this is an old thread , but I just picked up a used CB QT system with some turbo stuff .
I have a 1914 Turbo engine blow thur with dellortos and Looking to add the EFI to it . I know I will need some more parts to do this right that is the reason for my post . I think I would like to remove the 09 dizzy and blue coil what parts are needed to do that ? This engine will go in a Dragster with PG for 1/8 mile runs
I may just start with what I have and change to EFI or add the efi and dyno tune it ?
Any ideas or info will help , as I'm old and need to do this soon
Welcome to the STF!!!

Start a new thread (with pictures, we love pictures, 800x600 works) and you will get endless advice, we are great at helping you spend your money.
Sounds like a fun project!
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
Paul H

Post by Paul H »

If you want to get rid of the 009 and go crankfire make sure the CB QT ecu can handle that task as I'm pretty sure the early units could not
Real parts=Real Performance-Get Real
Opinion is the medium between knowledge and ignorance (Plato).
sandhopper

Post by sandhopper »

From what I have read the unit I have (gen 3) will do the crank trigger .
Once I get all the parts together I will start a new thread with lots of pictures
dunegoon

Post by dunegoon »

Here are clips of some conversations that you may find helpful:
------------
Mario,
I bought one of your trigger wheel kits quite a few months ago and now, being it's the dead of winter, I am starting with the installation. For background, it's being used on a type 4 motor in a sandrail and the motor has a Porsche 911 cooling system adapted to it. The pulley on the motor was a converted type-1 "power pulley", 5-3/4" diameter. But mine was pretty beat up from years of use, so I hunted around and found that Saco makes a very nice pulley in that size ready to bolt right up. So far, I have machined the back side to fit the trigger wheel (see attached photo). This kit came with a VR sensor so that I can use it with a CB EFI system.

Now it's time to figure out the rules for indexing the trigger wheel for my particular EFI system. Plus, I must engineer my own mounting bracket for the VR sensor and that means it may be placed in "some position" that makes for a safe and stable location.

Is it than a rule that the index (missing tooth) must be 90 degrees ahead of the sensor, wherever the sensor ends up? Or must the sensor be exactly 132.5 degrees ahead of TDC. Of course, I'd love to hear that I have flexibility in sensor mounting and that placement of the index point (or CB's software) is adjustable.

To cover my bases, I posed a similar line of questions to Mark Lawless at CB since that's the EFI system I have.
----------------
Mark,

On thedubshop.net, instructions for trigger wheel show 35.5 deg BBDC for a power pulley. But, this may be all relative to his sensor placement on a type 1? Plus, he is about Megasquirt so CB's software requirements may be different. Finally, I need to fab my own custom VR sensor mounting so I am hoping to be able to match his drawing. And, to top it off, his dwg shows 42.5 degrees before bdc fir the missing tooth

I'm hoping there is some software adjustment that gives me some leeway for sure!
--------
From Mark Lawless:
When the engine is at TDC the sensor must be 8 teeth away from the missing tooth when you count counter clockwise.
There is some leeway in the software but only about 10 degrees, plus or minus.

Thanks,
Mark Lawless
CB Performance
1715 N. Farmersville Blvd.
Farmersville, Ca 93223
559-733-8222

------------

To summarize, machine your pulley to accept the trigger wheel but don't screw it down yet. Then, mount your VR sensor. Next, with the engine at TDC, maneuver the trigger wheel until the 8th tooth (NOT 9th) is over the sensor as per the drawing below. Drill, tap, and attach.

Or, you could ask Mario to assemble the trigger wheel for the 8th tooth. Or you might buy a pre-designed kit from CB if they have it. If you buy a pre-built kit, install it per the instructions of course. But be aware to the 8th tooth vs. 9th tooth variance.
TriggerWheel.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

Marios pulley/wheel setup has ~360 degree adjustment range.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.