Could a CB Performance Black Box control Ford EDIS?

Lo Cash John

Could a CB Performance Black Box control Ford EDIS?

Post by Lo Cash John »

Like the subject reads, could a CB Performance Black Box be used to trigger and therefore build an ignition curve for an EDIS unit? I know you can easily buy a Megajolt box to do this BUT the Black box has 21x21 matrix and a 5 bar map. That seems like you can build a more precise map AND run more boost than the Megajolt is capable.

As designed, the Black Box (BB from here out) is designed to fire a single coil. Could THAT signal be used on the EDIS unit? That signal should be approximately a square wave with a 12V (approx) peak voltage. What if that signal was run through a simple voltage regulation circuit (couple of zener diodes??) then fed into pin 3 (spark control signal) on the EDIS?

Here's the PRO's:

-Yesterday I had a Ford EDIS setup fall into my lap for free.
-I have a buddy with a Black Box I can borrow to experiment with.
-I'm building a LOW BUCK 1600 turbo for a buddy of mine (see the Forced Induction Forum for details) and I though this could make a stupid good
and stupid cheap crank fire ignition.

What are the cons?
What am i missing here?
There's folks here WAY smarter than me so please chime in.
Jadewombat

Re: Could a CB Performance Black Box control Ford EDIS?

Post by Jadewombat »

If the CB system uses a VR sensor and 36-1 wheel, it might work. You wouldn't need to use the Ford EDIS unit though, it looks like the CB fires the coil packs.

Do you have the CB harness?
Last edited by Jadewombat on Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sideshow

Post by sideshow »

Not a clue, but I like weird ideas.
The EDIS wheel triggers 1 times, for the the normal 1/4 of common distributor, so I would start with all the cheap fabulous middle 1980s ford two cylinder cars that has the EDIS module to decode the 36-1 wheel you have. You may have to mentally adjust engine RPM 2X on the logic side, I'm not sure that would be much of a problem as long as it is within the BB switching speeds.
Assuming my math is correct.

I would try it, with not borrowed parts (seems potentially smokey), and two cylinder modules exist.
Yeah some may call it overkill, but you can't have too much overkill.
Krochus

Post by Krochus »

I don’t think so.

Even if you could trick the pulse count with software you still don’t have a way to drive the minimum of 2 coils to make a 4cyl wasted spark work.
Lo Cash John

Post by Lo Cash John »

I've done a lot of reading and determined they won't work together.

The EDIS gets an input from the VRS (crank angle sensor). Unless "told" otherwise by the ECU (or a MegaJolt) it fires at 10* before TDC. So, the EDIS is capable of running by itself, sort of like a crank fire version of a locked distributor. If the EDIS receives a 5V square signal on pin 3, then it can advance or retard the timing. If there is an increase in the duty cycle the timing will advance. If there is a reduction in the duty cycle the timing will retard. Note, it changes based on duty cycle, NOT frequency.

The Black Box is designed to get an input signal from a locked distributor (points, electronics module, etc) that is installed at 70* before TDC. The BB then decides how long to wait before firing the coil. It can delay by 70*, giving you 0* before TDC or it can delay by 30*, giving you 40* before TDC, or anywhere in between. Since it's really just a very fancy "retard box", it doesn't have the ability to adjust it's output duty cycle, therefore it can't advance or retard the EDIS unit. :(

So, I may install the EDIS unit in a "locked" config at 22*-24* before TDC. Then later on my buddy can buy a MegaJolt, move the sensor and build an ignition map.