EDIS Tach?

woodsbuggy1

EDIS Tach?

Post by woodsbuggy1 »

I am running MS1v2.2 with EDIS and have my tach hooked to the tach wire from the EDIS module but it doesn't work. What do I need to do to have a properly functioning tach?
Thanks
Kenric
Good quality is getting harder and harder to find.
Piledriver

Re: EDIS Tach?

Post by Piledriver »

It depends on the tach...
You need to know if the tach can or needs to be hooked up directly to the coil...

there are basically 2 (maybe 3) setups that work on older and factory tachs that need the HV kickback from a coil to work:
1)msXextra programmable output and a "fake" coil, using a relay coil and a diode and a driver transistor.Scroll down a bit to the one with the relay coil.
http://www.msextra.com/doc/ms2extra/MS2 ... m#tachoout

2)Array of diodes (2 in this case) directing all the kickback pulsed back to a common point without shorting all the coils together. Needs a tach expecting waste spark. This is also buried in the msextra docs somewhere near the previous one.

3)Hook up tach directly to one of your EDIS coils - side. I'm thinking it's firing on compression and exhaust on 2 cylinders is the same # of firings as a std 4 banger single coil setup would deliver, but it's late.

Big Fat Warning:
The above idea just occurred to me, I have never heard this suggested, and I haven't tried it (as I don't run EDIS) and seems way, way too easy... May also be done all the time.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

Hey Kenric,

Which pin are you hooked to on the EDIS???

I had two different tachs that worked just fine off of pin #2 on my EDIS module.
One was a Sunpro 2 1/16th inch el cheapo tach and the other is an anniversary tach put out by "MAC Tools" at least fifteen years ago.

The funny thing is I can't get either one to work on my wasted spark MS-2 Ver. 3.0 even after using the tach adapter you can purchase that hooks to both coils.
Stripped66 wrote:The point wasn't to argue air temps with the current world record holder, but to dispel the claim that the K03 is wrapped up at 150 HP. It's not.
miniman82

Post by miniman82 »

IDM pin on the module has worked for me so far, even ran the factory dash tach in my Corvair that was previously wired to the coil.
woodsbuggy1

Post by woodsbuggy1 »

Thanks for all of the input guys. I am currently hooked to pin 11 CTO, which I thought went to the tach but I will try pin 2.
Thanks Again
Kenric
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

Now I have to think about it.........it might have been pin eleven.....I'll go look for my wiring diagrams if I wrote it down.......
Stripped66 wrote:The point wasn't to argue air temps with the current world record holder, but to dispel the claim that the K03 is wrapped up at 150 HP. It's not.
andy198712

Post by andy198712 »

jhoefer

Post by jhoefer »

Piledriver wrote:3)Hook up tach directly to one of your EDIS coils - side. I'm thinking it's firing on compression and exhaust on 2 cylinders is the same # of firings as a std 4 banger single coil setup would deliver, but it's late.
You'd only get 1/2 the rpm reading doing that. Unless your tach has a 2-cylinder mode. This is the reason you need to connect both coils together with diodes from your option #2.
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

I verified my wiring and I did have it connected to the #2 pin.

Pins #1 and #3 are the pip and saw wires and #2 is tach.

woodsbuggy1

Post by woodsbuggy1 »

I think that my tach is bad, doesn't work on pin 11 or pin 2. Have a new one ordered.
Thanks
Kenric
woodsbuggy1

Post by woodsbuggy1 »

Finally got my tach working on pin 2 after I repaired a bad connection :oops: .
Thanks for all of the help
Kenric