Wiring/ Voltage regulator Question?!?! Megajolt?

Shood87

Wiring/ Voltage regulator Question?!?! Megajolt?

Post by Shood87 »

So I am wiring up a megajolt system and I have a question about about some wires.

Instead of tapping in and wiring new would I be able to take the wires that were going to the positive side of the original ignition coil? they are the wire shown in the picture below.

These were the ones going to the positive side of the coil.

The second question is that I am not exactly sure which one is the voltage regulator. searching on the forum i saw some people saying the it is on the driver side under the rear seat and others have said that there is one on the passenger side next to the battery. I have both of these. I am not sure which one is which and what either are.

Here is the one next to the battery.

Here is the one on the driver side.

Also just including a pic of the alt.

So the question is would i be able to wire the new module from the wires that were going to the old ignition coil?

Thanks in advance for the help.
-Hood
Shood87

Re: Wiring/ Voltage regulator Question?!?! Megajolt?

Post by Shood87 »

also it is a 73 STD.
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

You have an externally regulated Alternator.

The third pic is the regulator while the second pic looks to me like someone added a starter solenoid for some reason.

You could use the existing wire to power the megajolt but it would depend on where you plan on mounting it.

I myself would use all new wires to make sure there are no bad wires in the bunch.

Show a diagram for what sires you need to hook to the megajolt and we can give you a better idea.

I would guess you would have a pip and saw wire to the megajolt from the EDIS module.
You will need switched power to the megajolt.
You will need switched power to the EDIS Module.
You will need Switched power to the EDIS coil.
You might need Battery power to the Megajolt but I doubt it.

I would guess you could use the switched power wire from the coil to power the megajolt, EDIS module and EDIS coil if you mount them on the engine somewhere but you might want to put the megajolt under the rear seat and run a switched wire to it there.
Stripped66 wrote:The point wasn't to argue air temps with the current world record holder, but to dispel the claim that the K03 is wrapped up at 150 HP. It's not.
Shood87

Post by Shood87 »

So that is my vr? Someone told me that the alternator I have is internally regulated.

I plan on bringing those two wires back thru the fire wall. I have plans that I drew up to what I think should work. I'll post it up later when I get home.
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

What I usually suggest for ignition power is take 12V off the alternator//starter via a relay and control the relay with the original krispy ignition power wire.
Perhaps use the original wire to run the backup lights as stock as well, your option.

Even the stock ignition works pretty decent off 13.5V vs. ~8-9v it typically gets off the old factory wiring.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
Shood87

Post by Shood87 »

So if you are familiar with mega jolt here is the wiring it need to set up the last picture was my idea.
mega jolt.jpg
Mjlj_v4_minimal_pinout.png
20130925_200704_opt.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.