MegaJolt ? / twinplugs

Bills914-4

MegaJolt ? / twinplugs

Post by Bills914-4 »

I'm new to this crankfire ignitions , I trying to find out if MegaJolt can be setup to fire Twin Plugs , or is there another system that can do this . I was wondering if the megajolt can fire two edis coil paks . this is for a large bore (103mm) Type 4 heads that I'm thinking of doing twinplugs , thanks in advance Bill D.
Bill DeWitt
2800cc 914-4
TwinPlugs & MegaSquirted
Now Boosted 7-10 psi :twisted:
Weekend Therapy :D
miniman82

Re: MegaJolt ? / twinplugs

Post by miniman82 »

I've heard it's possible to use a pair of EDIS modules in tandem with the Megajolt box, but have not tried it. You might try running each EDIS module with the same VR sensor, or if it doesn't like that maybe you can simply use an EDIS 8 module and a pair of coils?
Jadewombat

Post by Jadewombat »

I think this was discussed a while back, do a search for Ford Ranger twin plug or something like that here in the Engine Management forum. That is probably the easiest way to go. It's a four cylinder, twin-plug single EDIS module.
Bills914-4

Post by Bills914-4 »

Jadewombat wrote:I think this was discussed a while back, do a search for Ford Ranger twin plug or something like that here in the Engine Management forum. That is probably the easiest way to go. It's a four cylinder, twin-plug single EDIS module.
miniman82 wrote:I've heard it's possible to use a pair of EDIS modules in tandem with the Megajolt box, but have not tried it. You might try running each EDIS module with the same VR sensor, or if it doesn't like that maybe you can simply use an EDIS 8 module and a pair of coils?
Thank you , I've tried using the search function & no success ,maybe I'm doing it wrong, I will try some more ,
I've already purchased the trigger wheel, hall sensor & bracket ( type 4 / Mario thank you ) , this will mount behind the pulley on a 911
style shroud , thanks again Bill D.

here's an old picture , it now has CB fuel injection with 48 throttle bodies , old paint :lol: , stock valve covers (less leakage) & some other changes ,
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bill DeWitt
2800cc 914-4
TwinPlugs & MegaSquirted
Steve Arndt

Post by Steve Arndt »

Bill D. do you have a build thread? I want to know more about your engine!
Bills914-4

Post by Bills914-4 »

Steve Arndt wrote:Bill D. do you have a build thread? I want to know more about your engine!
Hi Steve , sorry I don't really have a build thread, I can give you a few details ? if the moderators don't mind ?

84mm"C" scat crank, 5.7 scat H rods, EMW J-grind cam, pauter 1.48 rockers, 48x38 self ported pos bus heads
with cb vw650 springs & titanium retainers, 103mm JE pistons with 4cc valve pockets & EMW cast barrels,
9.6 cr / .035 deck/ 70cc chambers , bugpack drysump, modified oil passages in the case, ect ect , thank you Bill D.
future plans call for pauter cam & twin plug heads :wink: ,

moderators please feel free to move this post ,

this run is with 48 dells, the dip in the beginning is from me stompping it in 4th gear ,I was supposed to roll into it :mrgreen: , add 18% for flywheel HP,
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Bills914-4 on Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bill DeWitt
2800cc 914-4
TwinPlugs & MegaSquirted
Jadewombat

Post by Jadewombat »

HAL won't work with EDIS. EDIS needs a VR sensor.

viewtopic.php?f=63&t=138977&hilit=ranger

Wiring up an EDIS to MS or MJ is pretty straightforward though.
Bills914-4

Post by Bills914-4 »

Jadewombat wrote:HAL won't work with EDIS. EDIS needs a VR sensor.

viewtopic.php?f=63&t=138977&hilit=ranger

Wiring up an EDIS to MS or MJ is pretty straightforward though.

Thanks for the heads up :mrgreen: , I guess I got a lot more reading to do & questions to ask :) , thanks Bill D.
the twin plug idea is still in the air , ( need to learn more about it )
Bill DeWitt
2800cc 914-4
TwinPlugs & MegaSquirted
Redline Weber

MegaJolt ? / twinplugs IGN-1A SURE

Post by Redline Weber »

The IGN-1A coil that DIY sells requires a "TTL" level signal, this coil has an INTERNAL ignitor.

This coil if used in a single, paired, or even a greater number of "plug(s) per cylinder" will operate with a single channel.

Lance
Bills914-4

Post by Bills914-4 »

Jadewombat wrote:I think this was discussed a while back, do a search for Ford Ranger twin plug or something like that here in the Engine Management forum. That is probably the easiest way to go. It's a four cylinder, twin-plug single EDIS module.
Ok, I've been doing some reading (research) and the ranger doesn't use edis , it says it runs through a pcm , I could be wrong ,
but from what I've read & saw ( went to the bone yard) or didn't see there is no edis on the ranger, maybe I'm wrong ? ,

miniman82 wrote:I've heard it's possible to use a pair of EDIS modules in tandem with the Megajolt box, but have not tried it. You might try running each EDIS module with the same VR sensor, or if it doesn't like that maybe you can simply use an EDIS 8 module and a pair of coils?
Ok , more reading says that the edis8 fires every 90 degrees (8 times in 720 degrees) here again I could be wrong ? the vw fires 4 times
in 720 degrees every 180 degrees, Now what I did find is that some has ran 2 edis4 systems 1 vr sensor on 1 megajolt box with 4 COP,
so I need to find out if that will work with 2 coilpaks ? here's a link to what I'm referring to , about half way down the page there's a drawing, Thank you Bill D.

http://www.autosportlabs.org/viewtopic.php?t=1359
Bill DeWitt
2800cc 914-4
TwinPlugs & MegaSquirted
Devastator

Post by Devastator »

Couldn't you run 2 IGN-4 coils and split the signal wires from MS or MJ to each coil?
Devastator's Build Thread

Sandrail

2.4 liter, supercharged Chevy Ecotec

"If everything seems under control, you're just not
going fast enough."
Mario Andretti
Steve Arndt

Post by Steve Arndt »

That would work.

I don't see why you couldn't just run two EDIS4 systems off one ECU with one VR sensor.

I have ran two CDI boxes off of a single unilite in the past with no problems.

For the benefits of twin plug though I think you would want to go to direct coil control with eight ignition channels.
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

Ideally the 2 plugs would be set up as leading and trailing, rather than simply be fired at the same time.

You could ~easily use dual EDIS/4 setups with dual Megajolts, each programmed with it's own advance curve to achieve this.
(or a pair of MS1s etc)

There was some discussion to reuse the rotary code on MS3 to achieve the same thing on a 4 banger or possibly even a V8 w/hardware mods, but it didn't make the official "to do" list for MS3v1.3
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
Steve Arndt

Post by Steve Arndt »

At that point it's better to get a real ecu that can drive 8 inductive coils directly and skip the expensive smart coils. I am itching to try it with my. Current setup.

Ps as I recall jake raby found equal timing on each plug was best on the t1 and t4.
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

Steve Arndt wrote:At that point it's better to get a real ecu that can drive 8 inductive coils directly and skip the expensive smart coils. I am itching to try it with my. Current setup.

Ps as I recall jake raby found equal timing on each plug was best on the t1 and t4.
Interesting, last I checked on that he was still playing with it, both@same time makes life easy.
I still can't afford the T4 second plug headwork, and probably will never be able to justify it.

I'm still fond of keeping the ignition noise out of the ECU, and LS2 coils should work just fine.
OTOH remote drivers work fine, many choices, use a pair of waste spark 4 tower coils of your choice with a Quad spark or roll your own.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.