Compu-Fire Ignition

TexasBaja

Compu-Fire Ignition

Post by TexasBaja »

Hey Guys,

I usually hang out in the Off-Road forum but thought I would post my ?? here.

I have had a Compu-Fire Ignition system on my car from the start. I have sent it back to them twice already because it only fires on 2 cylinders. When I first built the car/engine it ran for approx 1 week and started with the problems. Then it was only firing on 2 and 4. They replaced the cap and it ran for about 3 weeks after that and stopped firing on 1 and 3. Again they replaced the cap and said the coils were fine. Well last night it did it again. 1 and 3 not firing. I am so frustrated. We run the same system on 2 of our race cars and no problems.

Does anyone else run this system? What could it be??

I am running a T-1 1915 with a older 009 dizzy. Do you think there might be something wrong with the distributor that is making it do this? Just a thought.
At this stage I am thinking of going back to old school points and coil with dist cap.
Coming soon to a Dezert near you
TexasBaja 2.0
Devastator

Re: Compu-Fire Ignition

Post by Devastator »

I had a Compu-Fire module do the same thing in my sandrail. After replacing it, however, I've not had a problem. I don't run the whole Compu-Fire ignition though. I did have my Compu-Fire "flam thrower" coil go out too. Replaced it with an MSD 45K volt. :twisted:
Currently, I use the Compu-Fire pickup, in a locked 009, to send a signal to my MS2, which controls my ignition timing. Still running the MSD coil too FWIW.
Devastator's Build Thread

Sandrail

2.4 liter, supercharged Chevy Ecotec

"If everything seems under control, you're just not
going fast enough."
Mario Andretti
MinamiKotaro

Post by MinamiKotaro »

Are you running the DIS-IX?

(just a representative picture)

1 and 3 are the same coil, so I would suspect either bad wiring or a bad coil. If something in the distributor body is rubbing on the trigger disc and causing rapid wear, it seems like it would affect both coils.
'67 Beetle, 2276
MS-1 v3.57
TexasBaja

Post by TexasBaja »

MinamiKotaro wrote:Are you running the DIS-IX?

(just a representative picture)

1 and 3 are the same coil, so I would suspect either bad wiring or a bad coil. If something in the distributor body is rubbing on the trigger disc and causing rapid wear, it seems like it would affect both coils.

That's the one.

I thought the same thing about the coil going bad but when I sent it back last time they replace the cap and said the coils tested fine. The thing of it is that it will quit working and then work again all of a sudden which tells me it was a intermittent problem. I asked if they could replace the Coils as well and they refused. Told me they would only do that if it tested bad.
So in the mean time I am going back to the old school points and coil and sending this one back DEMANDING and new set up. If I get it I will use it as a spare for the race car.

I guess its like when you take your car in for a noise and the noise stops as soon as you pull into the parking lot. Just my luck.
Coming soon to a Dezert near you
TexasBaja 2.0
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

Move up to Megajolt or Megasquirt ignition control with Edis or COP and never look back.

Throw that distributor away too.

Nice thing with Edis is you have fail safe mode. If the computer pukes you still have 10 degrees BTC as long as you have power to the coils and module. It would be a good backup for someone out in the boonies.

Megajolt computer is $160.00 last I looked
Edis could be found at a junkyard for cheap or online for around $60.00
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/EDIS-4-I ... 19cc55cebf

All you need to do is make a VR bracket or you can get one from Mario.
They are tucked in really nice and would be great for offroad since it can't get hooked on anything.

Last is a pulley for the 36-1 wheel. Make it yourself or buy one.

If you can fab stuff it would cost less that $250.00.

Nuts on timing with no scatter and no problems.

Clonebug