EDIS Tach output

56speedster

Re: EDIS Tach output

Post by 56speedster »

I just picked up one of the tach adapters to see if it drives my tach. I've tried pin 11 and it didn't work, tried pin 2 from the EDIS module and it didn't work, made up the simple circuit from the manual and it worked fine - - - for about 2 days. Made a second one and it didn't work at all. Don't know if my tach is now fubar or not and though I really don't need it, it would be nice for it to work since it's the biggest gauge in the dash.

Jokingly I've been using the oil pressure gauge to guess my cruising rpms and according to Tunerstudio, it's pretty darn close. :D
roachdogg28

Post by roachdogg28 »

Good to hear im not the only one, lol. Its interesting that a product made for a specific purpose doesn't work for the intended purpose, go figure. Did you try that tach adapter in place of the circuit to tie the two coils for signal like was talked about earlier in the post? or did you just follow the directions that came with the tach adapter?
56speedster

Post by 56speedster »

I just ordered the tach adapter this morning after you provided the link to it. Figured for $10 it's worth a shot. My tach in the dash is from a 1972 Porsche and worked fine when it was driven by the old MSD Blaster coil. If the tach adapter doesn't work, I'll leave it as is as a tach really isn't important to me - I'd just prefer that it work since it takes up so much space.
roachdogg28

Post by roachdogg28 »

Very cool 56speedster. Let me know if it works out, cuz im sure i will need it or something similar.
56speedster

Post by 56speedster »

roachdogg28 wrote:Very cool 56speedster. Let me know if it works out, cuz im sure i will need it or something similar.
Will do!
56speedster

Post by 56speedster »

Well unfortunately the tach adapter didn't work....though it sure did look nice and was about the size of a postage stamp.

I'll eventually figure something out. If I connect either coil wire from the EDIS module to my tach gauge, I get 1/2 the rpm reading that I should so I know that my connections are okay but if I use the simple circuit that is outlined in the mega manual or the tach adapter, I get nothing. Sort of reminds me of a wind-up politician - wind em up and they don't do crap. :mrgreen:

Oh well - no biggie - I know when I need to shift and if I'm cruising on the highway and my oil pressure is 35psi, I'll assume I'm at 3500rpm give or take. :?
56speedster

Post by 56speedster »

Decided to rebuild another simple circuit as outlined in the manual and it is currently working fine. I'm wetsanding some new paint on the car and I'm slow at it so I won't be driving it for a little while and won't be able to tell if it will hold up or not. The first simple circuit lasted about 2 days.
roachdogg28

Post by roachdogg28 »

Well thats too bad, but nice work on gettting it working right.
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

Hey Roach,

Did you have any luck on pin 11 or pin 2??

Clonebug
56speedster

Post by 56speedster »

56speedster wrote:Decided to rebuild another simple circuit as outlined in the manual and it is currently working fine. I'm wetsanding some new paint on the car and I'm slow at it so I won't be driving it for a little while and won't be able to tell if it will hold up or not. The first simple circuit lasted about 2 days.
The simple circuit seems to work fine up to about 5000rpm. After 5000, it goes to zero but bounces right back up when the rpms go below 5000. Works for me - at least now I know what rpm I am cruising around at freeway speeds which is 65mph at 3000rpm.
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

I need to make a correction on my earlier posts..... :oops: :oops:

After rewiring my module and coil I found that I am not using pin #11 after all.

I am using pin #2 on the edis module for my tach signal.

I apologize if this gave any confusion. :oops: :oops: :roll:

Next time I will look a little closer for plug orientation instead of assuming...
Stripped66 wrote:The point wasn't to argue air temps with the current world record holder, but to dispel the claim that the K03 is wrapped up at 150 HP. It's not.
andy198712

Post by andy198712 »

i think i'm going to try the EDIS pin for my tach, again it was ran off the coil -ive and worked fine,