Waste not, want not - "free" stuff!

Bajas, Rails and Parts
Class 11 streeter

Waste not, want not - "free" stuff!

Post by Class 11 streeter »

Hey all

I have an idea for a "freebies" type classifieds thread I hope can get some traction, and Leatherneck has given the green light for a dry run. I got the idea from our watercooled relatives forums at Vortex. It's intended for stuff we all have laying around and won't use.

Have you got something you are willing to give away for shipping cost?

The "gentlemen's rules" are simple:

.) Topic related stuff. Don't be trying to hock your pasley tie collection, unless it's an "emergency signal fire kit."
.) No intentional mis-leading. If the brake shoes are shot, don't try to pass them off as "still good", someones life may depend on that part.
.) No 20 questions on "free" stuff. If you are afraid just buy the part new.
.) No forum whining about a "free" part. If it's broken work something out with the seller.
.) No selling the "free" part you just got on Samba the next week.
.) Finally, Leatherneck has final decision if this thread lives or dies. We have the chance to do something beautiful here, so lets keep our posts "self-edited" for the good of all.

On a personal note, regular posters get "dibs" with me. Sorry lurkers, we share our triumphs and troubles here so the regulars get priority with me over some lurker in the shadows.

Happy bargain hunting!
Last edited by Class 11 streeter on Sun Jun 22, 2008 1:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
So you think your project is taking forever eh? Well you've got nothing on me.....
Class 11 streeter

Post by Class 11 streeter »

deleted
Last edited by Class 11 streeter on Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:16 pm, edited 5 times in total.
So you think your project is taking forever eh? Well you've got nothing on me.....
Kraut_n_Rice

Post by Kraut_n_Rice »

WOW you guys seriously missed out when I first got my car.

Basically a near complete car, we stripped it. I keeped the pan, body parts, and glass. EVERYTHING else went for $150, engine, trans (x2), front and rear susp (incl brakes), etc. :?

Would've much rather donated it. :cry:
'68 Baja project. FOR SALE
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

This thread has great possibilities, but will not be turned into a BS or garbage thread. This could help somebody out, Look around the shop maybe you have something (VW or Off-Road) that is really not worth selling, had it to long or just don't need it. Post it in the freebie section they pay shipping, your out nothing and you have helped somebody else out.
Mr.Man

Post by Mr.Man »

73~ish tranny, no reverse. Stock beetle IRS.
SpazMO

Post by SpazMO »

Complete b/j front beam, '72 I think. Working order, but needs attention.

Down side is I live in NM, and no one wants b/j. :cry:
DonT

Post by DonT »

Stock diameter long rear torsion bars. From out of an IRS type 1. They held up the rear of the car, but I never drove on them.
baja kid

Post by baja kid »

i really like the idea of this i think this could be a very cool thing but i think every thing should be keep to pms that way when you look through it you dont just keep seeing ill take that blah blah of your hands . that way it will help and keep this forum clean just my 2 cents
turboblue

Post by turboblue »

baja kid wrote:i really like the idea of this i think this could be a very cool thing but i think every thing should be keep to pms that way when you look through it you dont just keep seeing ill take that blah blah of your hands . that way it will help and keep this forum clean just my 2 cents
How ya gonna do that?
Without posting it up, you won't know whatever it is is available.
Without telling someone "I'll take it", you won't know it's gone.

Maybe the original poster of said freebie could edit the post once it's gone but most probably won't.......... :)
Gary

Turbo VW Sand Drag Buggy
2013 Polaris Ranger 4x4
My Website
Shop Facebook Page
baja kid

Post by baja kid »

turboblue wrote:
baja kid wrote:i really like the idea of this i think this could be a very cool thing but i think every thing should be keep to pms that way when you look through it you dont just keep seeing ill take that blah blah of your hands . that way it will help and keep this forum clean just my 2 cents
How ya gonna do that?
Without posting it up, you won't know whatever it is is available.
Without telling someone "I'll take it", you won't know it's gone.

Maybe the original poster of said freebie could edit the post once it's gone but most probably won't.......... :)

no i agree but i think you should post , like i got a mirror for sale and want not and if you wanted it you should pm the seller that way it keeps it down to only items up for free and then the seller should delete there post it could work or stf could start a classifieds like the samba i really like how they set it up
Kraut_n_Rice

Post by Kraut_n_Rice »

Maybe just "quote" your ad and the new post would say GONE, along with an edit.
'68 Baja project. FOR SALE
david58

Post by david58 »

Leatherneck wrote:If the item is taken edit your post , if not I will give it a month or so and I will delete the post. Except for the first one. I will also delete all discussions about items so the only posts will be the freebies. Anybody have a problem with that? Thanks Monte, great idea.
This is the way it should be.
Hot, humid air is less dense than cooler, drier air. This can allow a golf ball to fly through the air with greater ease, as there won't be as much resistance on the ball.
SANDDUDE

Post by SANDDUDE »

This is a great thread!

-I'm broke out in Ball Joint beam parts plenty to go around

-I have A lot of other parts too, need to look around & make a list

I'll eventually be moving & it would be great to get rid of this stuff to people that can use it as apposed to "the scales".... :?
Tom in PA

Post by Tom in PA »

editing your post will be self preserving. If you don't, you'll continue to pile up PM's from people. Hopefully that annoyance alone will cause most to pull the ad.

I think it's a great idea. Many times I've sat there with the part in my hand at the garbage can thinking, "man I hate to trash this, but I have no use for it".

Tom
tripicana

Post by tripicana »

can i have the intake manifolds for a type 4? i just pulled a 1.7 out of a porsche and want to run carbs. thanks, Joe