Compufire Alternator

Every car has an electrical system. Here's the place to learn all about it.
TJ530

Compufire Alternator

Post by TJ530 »

Does anyone have experience good or bad with the Compufire High Output Alternator?
I've read that some of the cheaper High Output versions have problems with bearings and overheating and would like to hear some feedback on them. Thanks.
volksbugly

Re: Compufire Alternator

Post by volksbugly »

I didn't run that one back in the 90s but I had a custom built high output alternator. The problem with our alternator design is when you get into high 90amp amperages is that the internal parts cant be made the way they need to be, so you end up with 0 output till you reach around 2300 rpms. Atleast that was the problem then... not sure how things are now. :)
TJ530

Post by TJ530 »

volksbugly wrote:I didn't run that one back in the 90s but I had a custom built high output alternator. The problem with our alternator design is when you get into high 90amp amperages is that the internal parts cant be made the way they need to be, so you end up with 0 output till you reach around 2300 rpms. Atleast that was the problem then... not sure how things are now. :)
The electrical shop I had asked that does all our motor rewinds for work looked at me funny when I asked if they could rewind my Alternator. It seems like not many people run higher Output Alternators which is suprising seeing how affordable programmable fuel injection has become.
volksbugly

Post by volksbugly »

You don't need a high output alternator for EFI, I've run the 55amp and 75amp with full sequential without problems.
volksbugly

Post by volksbugly »

You don't need a high output alternator for EFI, I've run the 55amp and 75amp with full sequential without problems. You really only need it if your running 12 high beam flood lights or a killer sound system.
TJ530

Post by TJ530 »

volksbugly wrote:You don't need a high output alternator for EFI, I've run the 55amp and 75amp with full sequential without problems. You really only need it if your running 12 high beam flood lights or a killer sound system.
Got a link to the 75amp one? I had thought anything over 55amps was considered High Output.
volksbugly

Post by volksbugly »

I got it at my local shop. It is a Bosch one.